Not cutting through on the left

Why would I consistently be having issues cutting through wood on the left side of the crumb tray and not the right?

One possibility is if the crumb tray is not seated exactly right in the dimples or there is something else that would add variation in the height of the material.

There have been instances where cutting has been inconsistent based on location. Often it is a mechanical issue or material problems. Sometimes it is a problem with the laser itself. But usually it doesn’t cut through on the lower right corner. Wondering if there is something on the rails like buildup.

sometimes it has to do with the way the Glowforge is sitting. Needs to be dead flat as in not twisted so the gantry is parallel with the crumb tray over the whole surface. Sometimes the placement of the machine on a surface gives a twist that can mess up focus or cutting success.

One way to assist in diagnosing is to print the Gift of Good Measure in medium draft board on one side and then on the other side. Show pics of the bed, screenshot of the GFUI and results of the print. Plus date and time.

Oh yes, and then could be a buildup of soot and stuff that can interfere with things. Maybe the exhaust is not flowing quite right and that can mess up the process.

6 Likes

If that laser window under the left side is even slightly filmed then the farther away the head gets the more diffuse the power so it may cut better when the head is close than when it is on the other side.

I’m so sorry to hear your Glowforge is having issues cutting through wood on the right-side.

Could you please post a photo of the front and back of the print?

Please also let us know the date and time of the print (including time zone) in your reply.

There are several things that need to be checked if the laser doesn’t cleanly cut through the material. I’ve included several links that will take you to reference instructions and photos. Please turn off your Glowforge and check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print.

• Print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.