Not Online

I turned on my glowforge and I heard it make all the normal sounds. I was designing and prepping for a while and then when I went to make the wonderful magic happen; it said that my machine is offline. I am plugged in, internet ready and fired up, turned off and on again… nothing. I have no connection issues; my GF is where it has always been and working properly. Can someone from GF or community help?

That happened to me a couple times last week. I just turned off the GF, turned off my computer, and restarted my computer and then the GF. Sometimes it took me a couple times. But it seemed to work then. And whatever was in your dashboard is still there, so it’s easy to restart it. I think sometimes even though your computer may say it’s connected, it can still have it’s issues. I use Verizon internet for mine, so it shouldn’t have issues at all, as my phone still works fine. But sometimes there’s just a glitch in the system. Other than that, all I can say is keep trying. You may even want to go through the “connecting” your GF to the internet all over again, as if you just got it. That may help. I’ve had to do that once.

3 Likes

Many things can interfere with your wifi. Try using your phone as a hot spot. If that works then you can trouble shoot your wifi.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you ran into trouble and your unit went offline. It looks like your Glowforge is connected and you’ve been able to print since contacting us. That’s great!

Could you please let me know if you’re still experiencing any problems?

Based on what you’ve described, your Glowforge might be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may see an “Offline” message.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using

2. Turn off your Glowforge

3. Unplug your modem

4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point

5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
    • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
    • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
    • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
    • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
    • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge

2. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions, and how things are going now.

Thank you for reaching out. I read through the information online once again and had to reconnect the GF. At this present time I am in operation. Thanks again for your support.

I’m glad you resolved it and are up and running again! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!