Not your typical paper question...I want scorch!

I’m working on a project for an artist where he is looking for an image etched into paper.
HOWEVER.
He wants slight scorching…not crispy…but definitely evidence of scorch…

Currently working with 1000 speed, 15 power and 225 dpi.

Any suggestions would be immensely helpful because as always, tight deadline! His show opens next friday and he wants 30 prints. Each takes about 2 hours with the current settings.

2 Likes

What type of paper?

5 Likes

Cheat. Stack the paper on top of mdf or some other wood. You’ll get much more smoke that way.

Oh, wait. You’re engraving… That’s tough. I’ll be curious to see what other people say.

6 Likes

rose quartz metallic 105lb cover

4 Likes

What about using your invention that reduces the airflow from the air assist fan and slowing the engrave speed?

5 Likes

My next move was slowing the engrave speed!

4 Likes

It totally depends on your art, but a score around the edges might give you that effect more than an engrave ever would…

or pull it out of the machine and run a piece of fabric or cotton ball over the engrave and onto the paper leaving a “smoke” trail.

7 Likes

I think a score around segments is a great idea for getting some char. Also consider this post regarding modifying the air flow: How to manually control the air assist fan power

5 Likes

I think @deirdrebeth has the winning idea – both easy and safe! Increasing char (burn) on paper is sooo close to crossing that thin line from engraving to conflagration… Either way, never leave your GF unattended when working with paper! YMMV, of course.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Thicker paper = more material = more smoke. There are some very thick watercolor papers that might fit the bill.

4 Likes

you might even have more luck with some “char” by using uncoated paper with a little more “tooth” on it, like a watercolor paper. not sure how smooth that rose quartz metallic paper is, or whether it’s coated. but an uncoated, rougher paper would probably retain a little more of the smoke than a smoother paper would.

4 Likes

I have nothing more to add, but I sure would love to see the final product when/if you have permission to publish it.

3 Likes

You could also simulate smoke marks and scorch in the engraved image. We’ve seen people simulate wood grain same concept.

2 Likes