Notes on Working with Snapmarks™ 🤔

Ugh…I’m not the world’s greatest expert with Inkscape. I’m sure there is a place you can specify the display units in the Document Properties - you might try that.

Or you can try setting the units to mm and using that equivalent. 8.438 mm x 10.279 mm.

I suspect that’s probably close enough though…if the mm thing doesn’t work, be sure to report it to Bonny on the other thread. There might be a problem that is machine specific and they’ll need to look at it.

Thanks. I may end up having to post a few examples of some “chair-keyboard interface errors” on my part as well… I can guarantee that ENGRAVED snap mark symbols DEFINITELY don’t work… and while I’m using the snap marks as manual guides, the GFUI interprets them as CUT… so I literally just accidentally cut out the snapmark on the template… Oh well, good lessons learned… :wink:

As always. thanks for the suggestions on the MM setting.

And one other VERY cool thing I learned from this project ( not directly snapmark related, but would be a great thing to use them with)… is that as long as you leave sufficient space around the edge of a QR code, ENGRAVED QR CODES scan beautifully.

4 Likes

I’m not sure of a particular reason to engrave them? Was that just an experiment? They are meant to be scored into the material.

That said - I don’t know how engraving would impact the Snapmark ability. You need the Snapmarks in the file for it to work - and I’m not sure what changing the Snapmarks to an engrave would do to the file as the UI sees it.

1 Like

It was an accident. When I say “Chair Keyboard Interface Error” it’s just a euphamism for “User Error” (.e.g - my mistake) It happened because I am engraving images. and wasn’t thinking properly about the score vs. engrave. Luckily the visual alignment in the jig is close enough to finish the project, and then I’ll work on getting Snapmarks down right.

3 Likes

I’ll also add that the result was a barely recognizable Glowforge logo that can only be described as “Crispy”… :wink:

Here’s a picture so people can avoid the need to do it themselves…

6 Likes

Ah yes, …the open path engrave. (Looks familiar.) :smile:

2 Likes

So Jules, is there a trick to get the matching SnapMark logos NOT show up as a cut? Since I decided to do the alignment manually in order to finish the project by early afternoon, I’ve only managed to cut the SnapMark logo about 5 times( luckily totally outside my project material) since it defaults to cut. Any suggestions on how to mitigate against this (or similar) human error in the future? Is there a way to default a particular color to IGNORE in the GFUI? If not, do you (and anyone else) think that might be a good idea for Dan’s hopper?

Nope. It’s going to always come in as a Cut, because that’s the default treatment for open paths with Stroke colors but no fill. (Just the nature of the beast…if we want them as Scores, we have to remember to set them as scores.)

They might actually work as cuts too, but the lines might be a little thick.

(Let you in on a little secret…Cuts and Scores are actually the same thing, with just one of them being set at a lower power. I frequently just leave them as Cuts and correctly set the power levels to score instead of cut.)

2 Likes

What do you think of the idea of allowing “defaulting” operations based on particular color codes, so people could “pre-program” more of the work in the SVG file?

My issue is that since I’m engraving 20+ corporate logos into planks, and I’m manually aligning (btw, it looks like Geordi (la Forge) has great alignment, and i’m not SNAP-ing since the jig was just slightly off on the Mark size, I’ve only forgotter about 5 times to IGNORE the “inbound” snaps… so I’ve cut over the Jig scored snapmark targets to a cut and burnt crisp. Luckily, the round shape is pretty easily to align to, and there’s a good margin of error in the target base .

Prior planing is key! No mater what program you are using, I use Inkscape, color code everything. The snapmarks should be a color that is only used once that way if this is a template or jig you can turn them off after the first round.

Oh, and once in the GFUI, drag things up and down on the left so things happen in the order you want them to.
I still make way too many stupid mistakes but developing a “checklist” mentality helps a lot.

4 Likes

It’s a great idea, but it probably couldn’t be implemented in time to help you out on this one I’m afraid.

This is very low tech, but that kind often works best of all - stick a post-it note on the Start button of the machine with a reminder to “Check the Score”. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Issue is that I created 20+ files (each with a different logo) as the final step to customize each plaque. Therefore, unless there’s an inkscape trick I’m unaware of… Each file is new, with the logo centered into a rectangle, and I;'m manually setting the exact location of the rectangle (fixed position) that I previously aligned to the snapmarks. (I then delete the rectangle)

My issue was simply that when I uploaded each Logo SVG into the GFUI, I forgot to ignore the snaps, since I wasn’t actually snapping the logo into place (just manually aligning).

@jules - I wasn’t worried about this project - more for the broad community in general. I’ve got this one down to a science. Between the drafts, samples, and final ones for this project, I’ve printed about 40 double sided plaques, 3-4 per sheet of PG material (designed it for 3 per sheet, and just figured out an alignment that would allow 4. (Which will be good for the next 3 runs of this at 25+ per run over the next month).

Also realized that to avoid a boatload of weeding, I run a quick draft score around the set of planks (rectangle) as a “prep” design, which allows me to peel off the masking material easily, then I have a combined Engrave for each of the plaques, with the cut as the last step.

Once all of the fronts are done, I keep the last run PG sheet in place, and then load 3 (or 4 for future runs) into that template (which I taped to the side of the tray) to ensure perfect alignment for the back side run (without the indivudual logos).

A bit of rubbing with a (slightly damp) high quality paper towel is all that’s needed to remove the burn residue, and it is FAR less time than the weeding would be…

When both sides have been done, I start the logo process (Manual for this batch, SnapMark for those due later this month).

2 Likes

Thank Gawd for you because customer support refuses to actually do any support regarding the snapmarks (VERY Disappointing).

Question? When printing the snapmarks do you think the stroke weight affects the alignment ?

That was specified in the release, since this is a beta project. There’s a special team dealing just with Snapmarks, hence the Introducing Snapmark (September 2018) thread where we can post questions/problems.

1 Like

The team that’s working on them is only checking on this thread for problems…the normal support team hasn’t seen them yet, so they can’t answer any questions yet. (If you’ve got an issue, post in that thread first.)

And the stroke weight on your design program shouldn’t impact the thickness of the Snapmark engrave, or the program’s recognition of them.

So if it’s not snapping, it might be a machine issue…post about it on that thread link.

I’ve done Plenty of Beta tests in my life - this is not the norm and I am very disappointed. I’ve been very dissapointed with GF customer support all around- but waiting 4 days for them to email me back that they don’t support a feature they created- is sad.

I dunno, I thought a dedicated support team was pretty cool, so we didn’t get lost among all the hardware issues.

1 Like

But the stroke weight if you are printing and cutting (in other words, printing out the Snapmarks on paper), can make a difference. They need to basically mimic what a score would look like.

The beta tests that I’ve done, they basically just collect info/notes on problems and don’t give any feedback. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

True…thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of engraving the Snapmarks, not ink printing them.