I’ve been having several issues with my Glowforge since I got it. I’ll try to go through all the issues that I’ve been seeing and hopefully be able to resolve them.
- Failure to cut through proof grade material.
I’ve seen this on other posts and that cleaning could resolve this. I’ll be getting some Zeiss cleaning wipes today and maybe this will be resolved. Image is PG Medium Draftboard.
- Material recognition failure.
Since getting my Glowforge, the camera has never picked up the QR code to automatically assign the material. Not one time. I can manually select it, but a major selling point to PG material is auto detection.
- Failure to cut straight lines.
The glowforge will cut straight lines a lot of the time, but I’ll also see what appears to be sine waves in the middle of a straight line. Circles won’t be round and smaller details are simply a mess. Images are for the Modern Mosaic Pencil Holder on PG Medium Draftboard.
- Failure to close loop on a cut out.
On some square, rectangle and other shapes with corners, one of the simply won’t be connected. This results in needing to break out the part from the board. See examples on PG Medium Draftboard.
I was making several boxes all using the same cut but I was getting different sizes in the. In the following images, one side should be 1.75 inches and the other side should be 1 inch. The 1.75 inch side is pretty good, but the 1 inch side was typically short and it would vary about how much. I have images of the complete set I did, but this is a sample.
I, unfortunately, don’t have an image for this one, but it is straight forward. When I have a piece of material I want to have engraved, the location as indicated through the Glowforge website/software doesn’t correlate with where the engrave actually ends up on the material. So if the preview shows the engraving in the center of the material, it will actually end up off center. It isn’t drastic, but easily noticeable.
I noticed this when I was doing a quick simple cut but the belt on the right side of my Glowforge is practically dragging on the bed floor while the left side looks fairly taunt. I didn’t check the left side for how snug it is as I didn’t want to inadvertently cause damage. I didn’t see anything in the instructions on maintaining these belts.
I know this is a lot, but I wanted to get it all in one post rather that flooding the board with a number of posts to try and keep track of.
I hope that we will be able to resolve all the issues I’ve listed. I’m pretty sure that I caught everything in this post. If I do find new issues not listed here, I will make a new post.
Thank you all in advance.