Oak sign

So latest project (without the tray - funny story that, when i returned my GF for service I assumed I needed to send the tray back… So I don’t have a tray right now… Anyway, one of the instructors at the stable where I ride asked if I could make a red-oak large barn sign for her new stable that she is opening. She liked my trail signs I did in red oak, and just wanted a very large sign (48" long x 8") so that obviously had to be cut in sections since I A) have a basic and B) wouldn’t fit through the pro slot anyway as it is 0.4" thick. This seemed like an excellent trial of snap mark testing

So into illustrator i made the sign:

main%20sign%20unsliced

Then since I have had better luck with huge engraves using PNG rather than SVG I brought the sign into Photoshop. I then used the Slice-Select tool and chose Slice Divide to make it into uniform sections. My plan is to cut the sections then uses a dowel tool to connect the sections. I did a few test samples for Angela and she really liked it

(the newest addition to the stable, baby Rocky, seemed suspicious that I could align a 48" sign made out of panels…)
IMG_6985

So first did a sample with just her logo, and of course forgot masking paper so it gets so grungy with red oak with the outdoor grade Shellac.
IMG_6941

Then a sample of the actual first panel with masking paper, and no shellac:
IMG_6943

Then I designed a new tray with the right offset and snap marks so I can make all the panels.

which I made out of draft board in OnShape and just added the snap marks on the DXF in illustrator right near where the feet attach on the top plate (which I ironically had to cut without a tray, which is non trivial)

Now onto the 12 hours of combined engraving to produce the rest of the sign (I will amend once the sign is finished).

27 Likes

This is a good post about Snapmark potential. I did get the beta use option for Zatoichi, but it didn’t get pushed to the two newer ones, so I have to re-request it. I have a back load of projects so haven’t asked. I am swearing off mega projects for a while.

This use of breaking up a longer piece using Snapmark is motivating me.

6 Likes

Good luck with all that—hope it goes well. Should be very cool when finished!

2 Likes

Wow … big project … can’t wait to see the finished sign!

1 Like