Observations

That is some hard core kludgery. You are a craft iconoclast. You break down the barrier that experts and the masters erect between product and consumption that is largely build out tools. It used to be that the knowledge was also a barrier. The Internet has overcome what guilds, copyright, patents and trademarks try do with knowledge and experience. The only barrier left is the tool. In another thread this complex issue is being discussed of protecting one’s revenue stream. It gets harder and harder. Lots to think about.
And here is the fiddly part of the bandsaw blade guides.

3 Likes

Thank you sir.
You really built that heavy duty, nice work! Won’t be long now and you will bring that fine tool to bear.
Perfect for gf prep!
What HP motor will mate to that? Speed control?

I picked up a beautiful piece of black walnut burl 15"x 12" an inch thick out of a scrap pile in a cabinet shop. The grain in it is magnificent.
I need a tool like that to make two of them 1/2" thick.
I should checkout a maker space…
Too bad you are far away, l’d Show up at your door with a smile and a board in my hand.

II’ve had it a decade waiting for idea/inspiration to strike. The forge is going to deliver that. Probably a combination woodcut and engraving.

There will probably be a band saw in my future, not as grand as that though…

Great work! I’d like to see a prototype, or actual working machine.
A friend of mine has been taking casting and jewelry classes at the local community college for a few years now and has had some success creating various objects. He might be interested in using a tool like that, after he makes progress being a fully employed microbiologist.
Some day, maybe when my youngest is in high school, I will find time to continue my interest in metal working, casting, etc.
Have you thought about manufacturing 50-100 units and just selling them to artists, casting businesses and schools? Forget the issue of getting a patent (save your money), just sell them before anyone else does, make your money, and support them as needed. I’m not sure if you can actually get a strong patent on a mechanical device, look into that if you haven’t already. You can get a design patent though that could camouflage the inner workings of your device and also make it more approachable, and more desirable? Just a few thoughts to ponder.

1 Like

Sorry this took me so long, life got in the way…

Thanks!
Here is a link to a short video demo.

https://plus.google.com/+DavidAndrews1/posts/joSLvBgUarS
Hope you like my work!

That is my working prototype. I don’t do much casting at all anymore, and would consider selling it to a good home… I need shop real estate because apparently, I’m going to move into lasers now. :wink:
Thank you for your thoughts, I notice you have an affinity for prototypes, me too!
It is the Glowforge prototype that brought us into proximity to one another - pleased to meet you!

hey @printolaser, your link doesn’t work. I’d dearly love to see your work. If you wouldn’t mind fixing, I’ll click. Thanks

Dang
It works for me… perhaps right-click and “open in another tab”?
Please let me know if that works, I want you to see it!

I wanted to see it too…but it says the post could not be found.

1 Like

I get a 403 error, telling me that I don’t have access to the page. Perhaps it is private by default?

Thank you@Xabbess, so the right click didn’t work… let me try to figure that out.

No…right click didn’t work either. You have a small line of admirers waiting on you…:wink:

1 Like

It is saved in your private google storage space.

1 Like

Thank you! Apparently, cleaning the kitchen is a higher priority. (she said) I’ll dig it up in a bit… sorry.

Try this…

its set to private… what a tease! lol

1 Like

$%*&!!
Well, never used YouTube before, a reflection of my ineptitude…

On the youtube “Videos” it lists the options as; Public, Private and unlisted. It is set to public, so something is eluding me.

Works. Very neat!

1 Like

Thank you!
I take it I managed to get the settings correct.
I probably should credit Windows Movie Maker as the video source.:no_mouth:

1 Like

Yay! You did it! My husband and I used to make jewelry long ago. We did not have our own equipment for casting, so used to take our molds/carvings into a guy who would do it for us. So although I’ve never personally used a centrifuge, I have seen one in action and am thus somewhat familiar with the concept. Seems like you have a great innovation for this process. I enjoyed seeing what you accomplished.

1 Like

I just love to learn about tools and techniques of masters of a craft. Thanks so much. I can watch hours of How It’s Made. Remember seeing an episode on High School class rings and first heard about spin casting. On the much larger scale is spin casting the mirror blanks they do at University of Arizona.

2 Likes

Thank you @Xabbess!
The trade kept me busy for years learning many aspects. The old school mold making with latex and vulcanizing. Metallurgy. Alloying gold and silver (last time I bought gold it was $200. an oz. for 24k, so yeah it’s been a while)
Rolling sheet and pulling wire. Metal patina. Lapidary and gem setting. Loved all of it.
Prior to the internet I had a mail order business, “The Reef Gallery” - “Treasures of the Reef, expressed in Precious Metal”, for marine enthusiests and scuba divers.
Crafting 50 dolphins (and the other popular items) a week turned my passion into a repeditive job that lost its appeal. (I still do work in jewelry for gifts or an occasional wedding ring set for friends)
I had completed my journey and made myself a jeweler. Next?

You and I have something in common in that we are both new to lasers, and very excited about it! I look forward to sharing the journey education and discovery with you and the rest of the community.
(I didn’t mean to string your thread out like this) :wink:

I am the same @marmak3261, especially “How it is made” on industrial scale production.
The casting equipment for upscale studios now are totally enclosed, electric melt with controlled zero oxygen atmosphere and motor driven. Program the burnout with ramp up temperature, dwell and ramp down. Close the machine, push a button and come back to a finished casting in a few hours.

Somehow, removing the hazards and having every variable digitally controlled also diminished the adventure. (there is a high degree of excitement associated with slinging moten metal)
Less skills are required to get things just right in the make or break sequence where the spin of the machine is the final step of a long process of a successful or failed casting.
The thrill comes when you quench the flask to retrieve your cast and see which it is.

The masters of craft you mention, we are fortunate to have several laser wizards in the community who are generous with their time and help bring the uninitiated of us up to speed.

Btw, is there a celebration going to errupt when you finish your saw? There should be!

4 Likes