October Update!

Well… “common core” started in 2009. Don’t know how many of those kids have a PHD quite yet.

4 Likes

100% true… but I’m assuming he is trying to make a conservative/political point with his comment, many in this world do not know this began in 09 and use the term “common core” to attack the Public School system.

and my apologies to Jason if my assumptions are incorrect

1 Like

well sure…

common-core US history! bhawaaaha sob.

3 Likes

The Glowforge team could argue that they have been giving us updates twice a week, so no large monthly update is needed - We know they are on basic day 10 orders and pro day 5 orders thanks to the site banner.

True, if you want to trigger the “fine print” clause. But I prefer the handshake and gentlemen’s agreement course of action.

2 Likes

lol… good one

Except that is imaginary “shipping”. They are actually still shipping day 1 pros and day 6 basics.

2 Likes

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/12/29/371918272/the-man-behind-common-core-math

1 Like

I have a math degree, and common core makes me shudder every time.

The breaking point was my daughter’s homework that required ‘estimating’ a addition where the correct answer was less than 1 of the numbers being added.

1 Like

nothing is perfect, common core included. But it should not be used to discredit the entire Public School system.

Here is a point about its failure:

Someone has removed our information from the Shipping Board do I put it in again or hope it shows back up by itself?

Are you going to put it in again assuming someone typed over our info by mistake?

…and honestly, some kids do much better using common core than they do with traditional methods. Both of my daughters are fairly gifted in math and I would say that both the common core and the traditional style offer valuable tools in helping them recognize the clearest path to the answer. Most of their common core driven math deals with visualization and practical reasoning. It helps them understand that math is more than just numbers on a page, it is also a representation of the physical world. So, yeah, I think most people knock it without having any real exposure to it.

4 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed doing math, and when Common Core came out, I eventually took a bit of time to try and “understand” it. I figured out what it was trying to do, and mainly discarded it since the “old” ways seemed to work much faster and take up less room when showing the work.

However, I didn’t stop there and I found a few more methods that were actually pretty slick. If you are interested in alternate ways of doing multiplication, look up the Lattice Multiplication Method or the Japanese Multiplication Method. They were quite fun to figure out.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the main issue people have. They only see that the standard algorithm method is quicker and therefore better. That said, the common core method isn’t about being the fastest. It’s about helping kids understand what the numbers represent. Along those lines, the Japanese visual method of multiplication is awesome for getting the answer quick and is even quicker than the standard algorithm, but it does almost nothing in terms of helping a person understand what multiplication actually is.

4 Likes

I’m guessing they’re trying to figure out how to world the incoming delay…

2 Likes

Yes they bought themselves six weeks by redefining the word “shipping” so I expect them to redefine October next or some other weasel way of making this:When will I ship my order Order ID: R045561687-FYFB5USZ not a blatant lie.

2 Likes

Daylight Savings

12 Likes