Off Topic: what makes you famous?

Larry Lujack selected the letter I wrote him as the “crank letter of the day” on WLS radio. (This means nothing to you unless you grew up in the Chicago area in the '70s and listened to AM radio.) I wrote it on Holiday Inn stationery, purportedly from the “Celebrity Sleepers” company, soliciting him to allow us to print his naked body on our line of celebrity bed sheets. I think I was 13 or 14 at the time.

17 Likes

This thread is turning out to be as interesting as I’d hoped it would! It’s cool to be surrounded by so many amazing interesting people :grin:

7 Likes

I could only listen to WLS at night. Pre fm.

Wow. That is fame. That was an Apple thing?

5 Likes

I used to love the crank letter of the day. Nice job.

2 Likes

I worked with Apple Design for about 5 years back in the 90’s, on all the odd John Sculley-area stuff that mostly didn’t go anywhere… the remote was part of one that eventually turned into Apple TV.

6 Likes

I presented flowers & a welcome speech first to the Prime Minister, and then on another occasion a few months later to the President, of Italy, when I was 8 yrs old.

My 15 minutes came when I was young, what can you do…

19 Likes

Been on the news a few times, on the radio a few times, but my biggest claim is I’m in the movie “Strangeland”. I got to meet Dee Snyder and Robert Englund on set as a result. That was a fun day.

15 Likes

My only vaguely interesting claim to fame is that I’m the original author of the 90ies BBS Doorgame “Lore” (not to be confused with LORD/Legend of the Red Dragon), by Elven Software.

10 Likes

Doesn’t make me famous, but I did play in a band for President George H. W. Bush some years after his term in office. He was speaking at the then-new Philadelphia Convention Center. As we arrived we were met by our liaison at the Convention Center who explained “See the folks in black with the earpieces? Those are the Secret Service that we’re aware of. However we’ve been informed that anybody in this entire building could be Secret Service and they will not be letting even us know who those people are. So keep that in mind at all times.” Anyway, I must say, Bush became a real live human being in my eyes that day. After his speech he answered questions from the audience. At one point a man stood in the audience and said “Mr. President, you probably don’t recall but we actually met once at {whatever}.” Bush raised his hand to his brow as to block the spotlights from his eyes and said “Oh! Sure! You just look different with all your clothes on.” The place exploded with laughter. When it was all over, he took the time to come back to the green room while we were packing up our instruments, said thank you, and shook every single one of our hands. Far beyond what I would have expected. It’s a moment I will never forget.

19 Likes

I’ve met and taught a lot of famous people. Besides a few mentions on the back page of some research projects, a few bands, some shows, and other various background stuff, I’ve been able to carefully avoid the limelight.

8 Likes

Well, I am not famous but a couple projects I worked on are. I worked in the building facade/curtainwall industry for a bit, designing the facade systems. I was usually tasked with working on the more complex geometry projects, having strong 3D capabilities.

This is the courtyard at the base of the Bloomberg Tower in Manhattan. I didn’t design the aesthetics, I designed all the detail work, figuring out how to size and manufacture all these glass and aluminum components so they fit together properly.

Similarly, I was involved in the tricky geometry at the tops of #1 and #2 International Finance Center in Hong Kong. These are the buildings in the photo below that look like nose hair trimmers at the top. :slight_smile: That’s actually how we referred to those areas during the design stage. #2 is the taller one, and stands out in any photo or film featuring the Hong Kong skyline.

31 Likes

Wow!
Me? I’m a legend in my own mind.

12 Likes

Well – I guess famous by association. One of my puppies grew up to be the first dog to wear the Search and Rescue collar cam while working at the WTC after 9/11 and then went on with her owner to get in the Guinness Book of World Records for the highest human/canine HALO skydive.

31 Likes

I am the North American expert in the operation and servicing of one brand of 3D printer. Fame is limited in this case! I am also a recognized subject matter expert, published by 3D Hubs as part of their 3D printing help section, in the design of parts for 3D printing. Specifically, how to design parts to best take advantage of FDM 3D printing orientation, what to watch out for, and what you can get away with.

20 Likes

How cool is that?!
:dog:< are we there yet?

7 Likes

I listened to WLS in 1957 when I lived in Libertyville Illinois. Rock n roll music was starting and I tried to listen without my parents knowing it. :relaxed:

8 Likes

In my previous career I talked to lots of kinda famous people (my favorite was a nice old guy who called the morning his author blurb was going to press and asked politely if we could add that he’d just won a nobel prize.) The height of my personal fame was being the source of a non-made-up news item on Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.

20 Likes

I made the first glow-in-the-dark Chainmaille bikini top…

26 Likes

WE HAVE A WINNER!

18 Likes

In 1990, I won top science student in 8th grade ( out of maybe 100 in my class). I still have the certificate to prove it somewhere…

11 Likes