Off Topic: what makes you famous?

I once got to play http://www.keeptalkinggame.com/ with Peter Sagal?

13 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty awesome

1 Like

(no particular order)

• I created a quake 3 map that was used widely in competitions and at quakecon every year. Its root was in a few physics bugs in the game that we found that allowed us to move more quickly than others and bounce off seemingly regular spots on the floor.

• I created some of what would ultimately become parts of the UI for what is now known as fruityloops. I also created some other logos/art for some of their plugins/apps early on.

• I was the first artist deviantArt interviewed when they began interviewing artists.

• I won the state street fighter II tournament when I was in high school.

• I built one of the largest REO companies in the country.

• I was a mathlete =P

• I was a DJ in the club scene of a really bad movie called ā€˜the in crowdā€™.

• Im a direct descendant of Samuel Prescott who was the only one of the three midnight riders that finished the ride to warn concord of the british. Most people are more familiar with Paul Revere for this, but he was captured earlier in the ride

28 Likes

In the 7th grade I won 3rd place in the high jump at The Jesse Owens Games at UCLAā€™s Drake Stadium. Jesse Owens gave me my medal and I got to shake his hand. Big honor for a track and field family like ours.

20 Likes

Wow! Im jealous. He was a huge hero of mine growing up!

4 Likes

I bought a Glowfoge !!! :sunglasses:
(was part of the BIGGEST crowdfunding campaign in history !!)

28 Likes

Yep, seriously.
Many, many others. Blade Runner, Tau Ceti, Micronaut One, Earthlight, Ninja Hamster and the Lizardsof Death, Dracula, Berks, Oink! etc.

Not saying hat they were all good though! :grin:

9 Likes

I was a member of the team that developed RepRap, Chris Palmer AKA nophead.

My main contribution was to design and build a CNC mill / FFF printer from scratch using quality motion parts that I bought on eBay. The very accurate Cartesian bot (which I named HydraRaptor) was up and running early in the project, so I was able to experiment with the FFF techniques and blog what worked and what didnā€™t work. Many of my discoveries with this set up are still in use today in low cost FFF printers derived from RepRap.

I believe I pioneered the following in the RepRap world:

I also printed thousands of sets of 3D printer parts and later full Mendel90 kits and sent them all over the world.

24 Likes

What a fun career it seems youā€™ve had!

2 Likes

I got nothingā€¦ yet. :wink:

5 Likes

Wow man thatā€™s impressive! Iā€™m definitely using things you created then! Thank you! ā€¦Except for kapton tape, itā€™s the bane of my 3d printing existence lol =P

2 Likes

Yes I moved first to PET tape, which lasts longer, and then to printing directly on glass, which lasts more or less indefinitely and is 100% repeatable, but needs a bed capable of 130C.

4 Likes

Glass beds are pretty great.

I currently have some coated magnetic metal beds by geckotek and they are amazing. Great adhesion, prints pop off when the bed cools. Highly recommend

I actually got good results with kapton tape, but if it ever ripped I abhorred trying to get another clean layer back on my print bed!

3 Likes

The only stand-out accomplishment was running the obstacle course at the US Navy training base San Diego California. I was blessed with physical ability.
Crossing the finish line with my lungs on fire, the drill instructor said ā€˜Congratulations Andrews, you just ran the second fastest time ever recorded on this course.ā€™

What I am most proud of is my Children.
Ten years after you die, itā€™s not going to matter what house you lived in, what car you drove or how much money you made. Whatā€™s going to matter is how you raised your children.'
With that success - my work here is done. :sunglasses: :sweat_smile:

22 Likes

Iā€™ve said it before, but Iā€™ll say it again: God Bless you for your service.

Btw, look where I was recently:

11 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more. Whatever else I might do, my sons will always be what Iā€™m most proud of. They are 17 and 15 and already better men than me, in my opinion. My oldest went to State in News Writing his freshman year, and regularly has his journalism assignments published in the local paper. My youngest is determined to be the inventor in the family :smile:

10 Likes

I have my name on some research papers.

the coolest thing?

being on several billboards around town for the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program with my 2nd little brother.

I had people call me upā€¦ ā€œOMGā€¦ I was driving down the road and this giant ugly dude was on a billboard almost wreckedā€¦ā€

I know some funny people. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

It certainly has been fun, although iā€™ve never made serious money.

Should have trained to be a plumber!

7 Likes

Ive never thought much about it, but I guess there wouldnt be much that would be more of a reason to throw money at someone than to fix an imminent sewage flood in your house!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been a semi-professional musician for 30 years or so. Itā€™s about the love of the art. If it was about the money Iā€™d be a network security expert. Instead, I compromise and Iā€™m a Network Administrator by day and a musician & DJ by night. Gotta have some fun, but gotta feed the kids. :slight_smile:

9 Likes