Offline and 3D engrave issues

Not sure why, but I’ve turned my machine on and then off a few times because it was showing “Offline” in the app. I closed the app and reopened it a few times and then the GF finally started working. Not sure what that’s all about but it concerns me as I have a large order to start working on.

As far as the 3D Engrave…I’ve been running a job making magnets of a logo and the first time it ran, the 3D Engrave option was available. From that point on it was not available in the drop down box! This morning I pulled the logo back up to run one quick project and the 3D Engrave option is NOW available. I don’t understand why it wouldn’t always be available for that specific project since it was saved with all the selections the very first time I ran it. Am I misunderstanding how 3D Engrave works?

As I recall, the option is only available for a few specific :proofgrade: materials.

Yup. Acrylic, the hardwoods, and draftboard. Not available for the plywood’s since you’ll get undersirable parts where it leaves the veneer in some places and punches through to the core in the majority of the other places.

Also has to be a raster image, not a vector.

1 Like

The “offline” issue is probably spotty wi-fi connectivity.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions @jbmanning5, @Tom_A and @geek2nurse, that’s right.

@mmullen501, could you try the above suggestions and let us know if they help?

Regarding your Wi-Fi issues, your Glowforge needs internet access. However, it does not need to be connected to the same network as the computer, phone, or tablet you are using to print.

For example, you can create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. This is a good way to rule out cellular interference, since you can set your phone right on top of your Glowforge!

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.
  2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

I had the PG med maple hardwood plugged in each time. The barcode was no longer on the wood but I told the GF what the material was which is why I was confused as to why the 3D option showed up randomly.

I’m glad you figured it out! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!