Offline GF

My machine is “offline” today. I’ve gone through the set up 15 times. Sometimes I get the Glowforge WIFI and sometimes I don’t. When I do and click on it, nothing happens, just says connecting but it doesn’t move to the next screen on my PC. I’ve rebooted computer, turned GF on and off and reset router/modem.

Any help on this black Friday, small business Saturday weekend would be amazing. Basically, the worst weekend for any small business to have any issues on their GF.

Thanks,

Wade

Nothing reported here: https://statuspage.glowforge.com/

Are you SURE your WiFi network and Internet connection is not somehow having issues? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

All other devices seem to be getting wifi as usual. I moved over to my Chromebook to see what it would do. It found the device once but then wouldn’t finish the setup. If finds my device, lets me select my wifi, I add password, it says "connecting to “network name” and then I wait. Then it goes to a “Glowforge Didn’t Connect” page. Just tried again and selected my Glowforge wifi network and it came back from Chrome OS as "failed to connect to network “Glowforge XXX-XXX”: Out of Range

My chrome book is 2 feet from GF.

I’m going nuts here. I have a job that is due in like an hour and I can’t make it. Anyone else have any ideas for solutions?

Oh no! I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

I’ve extracted some data from the last few days of use in order to investigate further. In these logs we have a record of the average signal strength the Glowforge is capturing from the network it’s connected to. On average, this signal strength has been low over the last week, with average strength at around -71dBm as of today. For more context, on networks with very good signal strength, this will often run closer to -30dBm. A signal strength at -70dBm or lower would be very difficult to stay connected to.

Here’s what I’d like you to do, if you’re still having trouble: please contact your internet service provider, and ask if they’re able to run any diagnostics to measure the performance of your 2.4GHz frequency band. Please explain that you’re having trouble with the connection of one device that only uses 2.4GHz, and our technicians were able to verify successful connections and no dropped packets, but low signal strength (around -71dBm).

There may be an issue with the performance of the 2.4GHz band on your network. Because this band isn’t exclusively used by many devices, the issue might not be seen on other things that are connected to your network.

Let us know if this helps!

It sounds like there is some sort of outage in my area. It’s odd cause all of my devices are working just fine except the GF. But I think you explained that in your last paragraph. Thanks for responding. Fingers crossed that Black Friday is still a thing for me and my small business.

Back up and running. Definitely a Spectrum thing. @jeremyh can you check my numbers and see if I am in acceptable numbers or if I am barely hanging on.

Thanks,

Wade

1 Like

Yay that you’re back online!

If this happens again, skip the going all the way through setup a bunch of times. I can see doing it once or twice to try a different WiFi sigal (switching to phone or whatever) but set-up is a binary; you either connect or you don’t.

3 Likes

FYI, I don’t work for Glowforge, I’m just another user who has Spectrum. I use to fight Wifi issues all the time due to other devices in my home. I tweaked and tweaked my settings and things improved but I still had some difficulties. My biggest offender was anytime my Apple TV was on my Glowforge just refused to connect well. Just offering something to think about. I moved this year and still have spectrum but I don’t have as many homes close to me so I haven’t had as many issues, I think partly because I’m not competing with devices from nearby houses. The other thing I did was when I set up this house I put every single device on the main network on my mesh system and then I set up a guest network and the only thing I put on it was my glowforge. My glowforge has been practically trouble free since then.

Again, just a thought from another user and another spectrum customer that use to fight wifi issues.

4 Likes

Thank you for following up with us! I’ve extracted your most recent machine connection and can see you’re now hovering around -56dBm. Much better than this morning! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

I move my Apple TV and GF to their own dedicated channels.

1 Like

It looks like the issue has been resolved, that’s great! I’m going to go ahead and close this thread now. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again should you need anything. We’re happy to help!