Oh no...What's That? Uh...it's a Glowforge!

I said “hey i ordered a laser cutter” she said “what the hell are you going to do with that”

15 Likes

I told a recently married good freind and coworker that once. Fortunately, he’s still a good freind and surprisingly so his his wife. :innocent:

4 Likes

so which part of the field are you in? i was actually part of the very last manual cryptanalysis class at goodfellow AFB in the early 80s. 98c, sigint analyst, army.

3 Likes

My husband told me to buy it after me falling in love with the promo video. I never spoil myself so he made me pull the trigger. I never regretted it! Just need the shipping email to come now!

9 Likes

Sounds like a keeper!!

4 Likes

She is the one!

4 Likes

Story of my life lol. I have one friend who had taken to calling my gf a unicorn because neither exist. So in his honor I think I will call mine my unicorn!
5CBC45FE-4EF7-4C2F-B732-EB89E3343894-229-00000004DE47F635

13 Likes

I was a CTO (Operator/Communications)1985-2006. Started here at Corry Station Pensacola FL as an E-1…retired here at Corry Station as an E-9…now a Govt employee here at Corry Station. I’m Navy for life :crazy_face:

5 Likes

My Glowforge pre-order has survived 3 girlfriends. My girlfriend (Who I am moving in with, so hopefully this one will stick) knew about it pretty much week 1 because I wouldn’t shut up about all the cool stuff I was going to make.
She even has ideas for things to do around the hose

11 Likes

You could have taken the other road… the one where you pledged for a Pro and then every month your S.O. asks if you’d consider cancelling to put the money into projects X, Y, and Z instead.

Silence is Golden.

Set it up real fast when it gets there and slice up a couple of tchotchkes she’d appreciate. If it’s a tool that benefits everyone, then it’s not “just another toy”.

3 Likes

We don’t have to approve each others’ purchases, so it’s easy. I’m not sure I could survive that sort of relationship. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So which GF is the longterm GF??? :wink:

5 Likes

I can’t imagine a more perfect illustration of the magnitude of the shipping delays. I just hope the Glowforge arrives before your grandchildren.

8 Likes

I dont know… but only one of them is able to cut a piece of material in half with light.

12 Likes

I am disappointed in you for you 4min is longer than I expected but for all I know it could have taken 3min to find your wallet and credit card lol

4 Likes

Well he had to watch the video too lol.

4 Likes

It’s funny to me that, for all of the similarities of human beings, there can be some fundamental differences between them. It would never occur to me not to discuss a large purchase with my significant other. I mean… they’re significant after all, right? Of course, if I did keep it from her, I’m sure she’d trust that I was doing whatever was in our best interest.

6 Likes

Yep. I’ve been married for over 30 years…so there’s no trust issues…neither of us need to ask for permission on purchases. It’s just like when my wife comes home with a new pair of shoes…I roll my eyes and say how many more shoes can one woman own. Not really an issue for me…more of a loving poke at her compulsive shoe desires. Whatever keeps her happy. So, she sees the same in my tech/geek acquisitions…gives me the compulsory “Oh no…What’s That?”…then sees that I enjoy the tech and actually use them…then she waits until the next geek item shows up :crazy_face: 30+ years without an argument/fight/or discourse…so I’ve got a good track record.

10 Likes

We sure had to when we were starting the business. $200 limit. Anything above that and we discussed it or he heard about it.

It’s funny how we kept doing it for several years after it was no longer necessary. Some habits just die hard.

(Now of course the bank flags me…it’s funny, he’ll be taking a bunch of clients out to lunch, and he’ll actually call me after and put the client on the phone after telling them that I’m about to call and chew him out for dropping $500 bucks on a lunch. :smile:)

11 Likes

I like the way you equate a pair of shoes to a multi-thousand dollar tech buy. You can probably get at least two pairs of Jimmy Choo’s for the price of a GF!

I can’t remember exactly what my wife’s response was, it is too long ago. I wouldn’t dream of not running it past her though once it gets more than a few hundred dollars.

6 Likes