Oh no...What's That? Uh...it's a Glowforge!

yeah, we talk about anything over a few hundred. more so it’s not a surprise than any distrust. if it’s thousands, i may get some “are you sure we need that?” comments (which i did about the GF).

1 Like

I have my production Glowforge now. It is totally worth the wait! I just don’t have as much free time to use the machine like I did when I was single.
You make a good point though, my life has changed drastically while waiting.

3 Likes

I paid for my Glowforge out of my business so I didn’t "need’ to discuss it with my wife but we are each other’s number one advisers for each other’s businesses so I do always discuss any substantial purchase with her. There’s no precise dollar limit to it. I’m going to spend $250 later today on materials. That’s a routine purchase that will contribute to about $1000 of income. But I might discuss a $150 equipment purchase with her.

5 Likes

It’s funny. When I presented the idea to my Wife, October 2015, she said “I agree. Go buy it.” And I went “Wait! Hold on there! The way this works is, one of us comes up with some crazy, expensive thing and the other talks sense!” She said “But you’re right. This looks awesome, and even if we don’t make any money with it, we’ll easily get that amount of personal enjoyment from it.” So I said “Well, damn. I wasn’t expecting that. Now I have to think about it a while.” :slight_smile:

13 Likes

True Stories!

Dear Captain Awesome,

“We” recently bought your big toy - the Ford 350 Custom Build Dually and despite the fact it is too big for me to drive or even get in (Don’t forget I flashed half the dealership when we went to pick the truck up in my pencil skirt and stilettos while trying to gracefully attempt to “climb” into the truck because we just HAD to go pick it up during work)

I supported you no matter what because that’s what married couples do.

Lots of Love,

Mrs. Awesome xoxo

PS - My new 2018 Porsche Macan S is arriving end of September/Beginning of October.

The Glowforge one was:

Dear Captain Awesome,

I recently bought “our” Christmas present (Was suppose to be 2015)
Hope you like lasers.

Love,
Mrs. Awesome

21 Likes

Across 38+ years she has given me every freedom, but it’s not like she had much choice. I am impulsive, and when inspiration strikes she doesn’t want to get run over so she gets out of the way.

Involuntarily retirement in the form of a spinal fusion dropped me into a deep two year funk, and I had been losing interest in jewelry over the years, so I went months without even walking into the shop, which had been a focal point for my self expression.

I have to credit the glowforge for pulling me out of that hole. This journey of exploration has rekindled a fundamental part of who I am, and that my friends is the source of my unbridled optimism and enthusiasm about this machine. Rah-Rah :tada:

I know that sounds superficial, and it is - but I needed a catalyst for change, and I finally found it. It came in the form of a technology that had always been out of reach - until now.
Understandably, she has welcomed that. :sunglasses:

25 Likes

I hope you got a significant discount! ROFL! :joy:

10 Likes

I like your Wife! and your reaction is the same as Captain Awesome "How many shoes and bags does a woman need?"
I replied “It’s not a need honey… it’s a want” bahahaha :grin:

3 Likes

He had already paid in full so no discount :roll_eyes:… but we did get some Ford Swags and Gas Cards. LOL

6 Likes

My wife was out of the country when I stumbled on info about the GF and decided to order one. I still have not told her about it. When it comes, and I get the “What is that?”. I will truthfully be able to answer that it is something I bought and paid for a couple of years ago, and it just got shipped. So the focus can be on why did it take them so long to ship, rather than why did I spend the money. And, of course, think of all of the great things I can make for the twins. Thanks, @dan. lol

8 Likes

We are not just beings of mind and spirit, we are flesh and blood. The external world is essential to our well being. Motivation comes in many different ways but I would say that the most powerfully consistent motivators come from the outside. Falling in Love?

Funny how we use the word “inspiration”. It gives us new breath, a reason for breathing, new life. Inspiration is not some aetherially transcendent reality. It’s occasioned by a true interconnection with the world around us.

It takes amazing discipline and purpose to be entirely inner motivated. The fast track is make a connection with something other than yourself and things of beauty will heal you.

And I am so glad you happened onto the Glowforge. It really is inspiring in so many ways, not the least making this community happen.

13 Likes

You are wise my friend.

4 Likes

An exceptional vehicle! Once received, I recommend you/wife to join the Porsche Club of America (PCA) and your local Region PCA.

1 Like

Thanks! I should join my local Region. I current drive a Macan too but my Mama really wants one and she doesn’t want to break in a new one so she wants mine. LOL

Ironically my hubby (aka Captain Awesome) is German/Austrian-Canadian but loves American Cars… my dream of all P in the garage is crushed… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I hear ya. I’ve had a Porsche (Carrera traded in for a Cayman S) for going on 10 years. My wife is more of a Charger fan. However, last month, she’s mentioned that she’s been looking at Maserati’s (used).

2 Likes

My dad tried that once. I accompanied him back to the guitar store the next day :cry: Though he did successfully pull it off with a truck and a motorcycle.

7 Likes

My wife made me buy a motorcycle :smiling_face:

5 Likes

I was the one who said, “Oh, I wish I could afford this!” and my partner pointed out that at the moment, I could. I still hemmed and hawed at laying down that much money, until he said that for my birthday present he’d contribute a nice chunk of change toward it. We make a good pair.

15 Likes

I hear that!
Both wife and i are well positioned for work but we both started small.
I started off as a part-time entry-level drone in the company i ended up managing. My wife started off as the part-time receptionist for the company she ended up being Chief Technical Officer for. We have been through some tough times before we got where we are and make an effort to NEVER forget that things can turn around easily any day.

With that in mind our budgeting is based on “If we lose our jobs tomorrow how long can we pay the bills?”. So we have a 2 year cash-kitty and all our property payments/bills etc are based off just 1 wage.
Luckily that means the payment for the Glowforge came out of our spare cash so the delays have meant no hardship for us

11 Likes

All excellent money managing techniques. :grinning: :+1:

I heard something once that stuck with me - if you live like you are surviving a Great Depression, even when you have the money, then you will survive a Great Depression.

In other words…get used to buying a second hand car to knock off that instant “Drive off the lot” depreciation. Cook some of your own food instead of eating out all the time. Make your own coffee in the morning. (Sorry Starbucks.) Work really hard, make your money early, and waste not, want not.

And at the end of the day, you can retire at 37 and play with laser printers. :blush:

(Okay, well maybe not everyone can retire, hubs is still working. But it does take a lot of the pressure off. Well worth it, in my opinion. Chuckle!) :wink:

7 Likes