Oh snap...found a second - sometimes even better - use for an edge lit engraving! - Small info update on 5-1-17

The archer from walking dead Daryl

8 Likes

DING DING DING DING

1 Like

I’m cheating some more. Do a reverse image search in google and you get:

4 Likes

I inverted it before the clue posts and hurried to post and saw someone already did that

2 Likes

A reverse image search ?
Please explain how that is done - sound very useful.

2 Likes

OK, phase 2:

Here’s the original whole body:

And here’s the edge lit sign from the svg; kind of disappointing, as you all could tell:

6 Likes

Go to google.com
click “images” in the upper right corner
drag and drop images onto the search bar.
(not sure if you need to be logged into google)

7 Likes

Not really…I’ve never seen Walking Dead so I wouldn’t have recognized it anyway…chuckle.

5 Likes

Go to this website: https://images.google.ca/

Then drag and drop the image you want to search for (from another browser window) into the search bar instead of typing something in.

3 Likes

Sooo, not sure it’s something that I’d want to gift to a friend, just cause it doesn’t look that great.

However…there is a different way to use / display it…

Drumroll…

Oh, darn, sorry, I have a conf call I have to join, will reveal in a few mins…

:grin: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Many thanks, and “power to your elbow”.

1 Like

Heh… I had to look that one up.

More power to your elbow!
uk (us: more power to you!)

An expression of praise or admiration for someone’s success or brave actions:
“I’ve decided to quit my job and set up my own business.”
“Well, good for you. More power to your elbow!”

7 Likes

paint fill the engrave (so it will be dark) then light 'er up !!

1 Like

OK, not to build it up too much, lol…

Now, this pic doesn’t really do it justice; the light I was using isn’t that bright, and it’s a bit blurry. It looks so much better in real life, but at least it gives an idea…

Shine a bright light on the face of it…and display the shadow onto a wall::

Look at that face! Sorcery!

Plus, check out the pretty border, created by the flashback from the crumb tray. Again, it’s blurry here, but it looks really nice in real life…

Sooo, think of the possibilities…shrink these down to tiny dimensions, color it in (or leave it blank), put a magnifying glass over it, and you’ve created your own ceiling / wall night light display.

Make a bunch onto one circle, add a motor, and you’ve got your own custom designed night light wall display with changing images. If you already have one of those machines, maybe you just create your own disks to use in it.

I’m guessing kids would love this…?

23 Likes

Bat Signal maglight lens-covers…

5 Likes

Shadow casters! Excellent! :grin:

(We had talked about doing some depth map work with 3D printing for the panels on tealights, but it would be much more convenient for folks to just use acrylic with engraves.)

Think of the fun at Halloween! Bwa-hahahahahahah!

3 Likes

Great ideas!

Was thinking of maybe even having it be able to rotate; one position will edge light it, flip it (or maybe the base) 90 degrees, and it becomes a shadow caster. But at this “normal” size, and without a magnifying glass, it won’t be focused properly at more than a few inches away from the wall / ceiling :frowning:

2 Likes

Are you cutting the 1/8" PG acrylic?

Try the following settings:

Note: These settings are no longer valid - they are Pre-Release and Pre-Scaling Change. Do not use them.
90% power
30 speed
0.125 FD

And if you are trying to cut right up next to an open edge, lay a strip of tape or something down on the grid next to the material to cut down on that flashback. Too much air getting in there.

5 Likes

Yes, was using the default PG cut settings for it, but I will try those settings, and the tape, next time, thanks!

Unless, of course, I want to keep that border effect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve never done it before and have not made any edge lit engravings, but have you considered dithering the image? From my understanding (which I admit is very limited) a grey scale image that is dithered is actually just black and with different density of black dots to make the image look grey. If you did that, would that make the image look better when edge lit?

1 Like