Old faithful is stuck on centering

I’ve restarted several times, hear the clicking, wifi is working, but I can’t get past centering when starting up. I’ve had this machine for a while now, and it’s always been faithful.
Can support check if it’s my black cable? If it’s not that, I know there has been issues with the cloud lately too.
Like everyone else who uses this machine for work, I got a project for a golf course waiting on me and I would love to be able to get it done in a timely fashion :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Might be the cable, but there are a few other things to check while you’re waiting to hear from Support just to rule them out…

Who knows, one of them might work? Worth a shot.

2 Likes

Oh man Jules. I never thought to check the white printer head cable…but it looks like that was it! I have such an early glowforge model, I keep expecting the black cable to go out. But, I guess it hasn’t yet!

Support, I would love to purchase an extra though, to have on hand. I felt mine with this, and it feels like there’s a break. I don’t want to be stuck with orders waiting for one to ship, I’d rather just have one on hand.

Thanks!

2 Likes

YAY! That almost never helps actually fix the problem! Now I feel that my life had meaning. :rofl:

2 Likes

Right?!? I looked at it and it looked fine, but I pushed it gently anyways and one side moved in just a smidge…and then it worked!
Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

But now it’s stuck on cooling down, and it’s no where hot enough to be overheating…

Dammit! That was a brief shining moment… :smile:

I’m afraid it might still be something that support needs to look at, so if you can…edit that Solution check box and take it out so they don’t overlook your thread. And let them know that you think it might be related to the white cable, not the black lid cable.

They might have something else for you to try or check.

1 Like

Thanks. I turned everything off again and restarted my computer because it wouldn’t get off of cooling down. It seems to be stuck on centering again :frowning:

Yeah, aside from checking the pins to see if any are loose in the head, I don’t know what to tell you to try. (And that might make it worse, so you might want to wait to hear from support.) :neutral_face:

1 Like

I did just get a successful test print done with no issues, but I would still love support to check my logs because it’s never been finicky like this before, and I would still love a black cable on hand even if this one is still fine!
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @shronimo - sorry to hear you were running into some trouble, but I’m glad that for the moment everything is behaving again. Thanks @Jules for the early assist as well!

I went ahead and extracted the logs from your printer to check on everything, and based on the data I’m seeing there, I think it wouldn’t be a horrible idea to go ahead and get you set up with a replacement black cable for your lid, assuming everything looks good there connection wise.

I’ll follow up with an email on that front to take care of all the details to get your order started.

I also looked into your cooling down messages and while I don’t see anything indicating a major issue, it does look like things are operating on the warmer side of our ideal range. So with that in mind, I’d like to leave some general guidelines we like to offer for warmer weather performance.

• Try printing with no material on the bed (so as not to generate smoke and fumes) and no exhaust hose attached. If this works, then the problem may be that your exhaust hose is constricting the flow of air out of the unit, preventing cooling.

• Examine the bottom-right side of your Glowforge, and ensure that there is no fabric or other flexible material underneath it, like a tablecloth. There are air intake vents, and if they become obstructed, it makes cooling less effective.

• Try pointing a fan at the right side of your Glowforge. If there is warm air around the intake, this could help it cool off.

• Power off your Glowforge when you are not using it. When your Glowforge sits idle, the fans are off, so heat can build up

• Just wait. Your print may take a little longer when it’s warm, but your Glowforge will protect itself and make sure it cools enough to prevent any loss of power or damage. It’s clever enough to pick up from exactly where it left off, even if it needs to pause to cool down during the print!

• Ensure that the sun isn’t shining on the lid. This could cause the inside of your Glowforge to heat up.

• If you are venting outdoors, ensure that extreme temperatures or humidity do not enter the Glowforge unit through the exhaust hose. Disconnect the hose from the outside air when the Glowforge is not in use.

• Turn your Glowforge off and open the lid for a few minutes before trying again. It’s possible for the air in your Glowforge to heat up, just like a car in the sun on a hot day, opening the lid will help that warm air to escape and your Glowforge to cool down.

2 Likes