Old school design tool - isometric grid paper!

I like to use isometric grid paper to draw out designs for fun and for use in upcoming laser projects. I find using pencil and paper quite relaxing, entertaining, and satisfying. Also, the battery life is infinite - it’s my “battery life” that’s limiting. :grin: I hope this helps y’all!

59 Likes

Beautiful! (And I particularly like that you label your samples. Chuckle!)

12 Likes

Used to love the days of hand drafting, then the computers came into the world, yes he is that OLD!
Still hand draft a lot of things, it as you say "find using pencil and paper quite relaxing."
Glad to see others feel the same, keep up the drawing.

11 Likes

Beautiful design! That level of symmetry by hand is inspiring.

6 Likes

The grid is a great help. I draw the pencil lines so that it’s distance is the same from it’s corresponding mirror image line. Sometimes, to speed up the process of drawing the mirror image I’ll use the cutting wheel of a glass cutter guided by a quilting ruler to gently crease the paper on the line of symmetry, fold it over, then use an agate burnisher to rub the reverse side of the image to transfer it. Then I’ll go over it with a pencil to darken the lines.

30 Likes

Gorgeous!!

3 Likes

I was gonna ask for a tutorial, and then you gave us one. Thanks!

4 Likes

I LOVE isometric grid paper! I think I’ve mentioned it a few times on these forums but I’m a hobby game developer and one of my favorite things to do is draw out buildings, villages and anything that I’m trying to build in an isometric view so I have a better time visualizing it in 3D

2 Likes

It’s the first time I see an isometric grid paper, it’s great! (And the design too, obviously) :wink:

1 Like

I’ve also used isometric paper for initial designs for furniture.

This:

Evolved into this:

A play table for my youngest daughter, complete with a dirty sock she needs to pick up and put in her laundry basket. :smirk:

45 Likes

Yes, I did the preliminary Bat’leth on graph paper, half from the centerline, and folded and traced the 2nd half to assure symmetry.
Once I was happy with the drawing I scaled half up to a piece of cardboard, and from a centerline on the steel - flopped it over to get the second half.

6 Likes

Your drawing alone makes me want to buy Isometric paper. I do these kinds of drawings all the time with normal grid paper.

7 Likes

How lovely your drawings are! :grin:

Inspiring :smiley:

2 Likes

Yay! I’m not alone! When I have an idea for something new, it always runs too fast for me to CAD, so I always do sketches first!

2 Likes

I bought mine on amazon of course. I got it a couple of years back and the exact item is no longer available. This one looks pretty similar.

9 Likes

Yep, those are unintentional samples of the liquids I drank over the course of making the drawing.

4 Likes

do you recommend one “type” of paper vs another (loose leaf vs spiral bound vs book bound, 8.5x11 or 11x17, etc…)

Currently I have normal graph paper, book bound, 8.5 x 11 that has worked for me, but some reviews I’m seeing seem to say that it makes more of a difference with isometric paper.

YMMV, but it comes down to your work style. I like working on pads or loose papers, as the bindings get in the way of my hand, t-squares, rules, triangles, french curves, etc.

3 Likes

I’ve only used this one that I’ve purchased. It seems to be just regular copier paper printed with a light blue grid. I’ve seen fancier paper as in translucent drawing vellum with printed grid on dickblick.com, but have not used any of those. What I have works pretty well for me and is not that expensive. I do like the 11x17 size since I can fold it in half for easier transport/storage and it gives me more “sheets” to draw on. Also if I want to do a bigger drawing I can just unfold it and use the whole sheet. In terms of the “type” I like the loose leaf with a clipboard as a drawing surface. I find that the ring and the spine of the other types get in the way as I try to position my hand to draw the smooth curves.

4 Likes

yes! i just picked some of these up from lee valley to doodle on:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42936&p=71227

8 Likes