Olson Face Mask cutout template

Hello, —can’t figure out how to upload my svg files…someone help please…
During the COVID-19 quarantine, here is a way to help out. I watched a YouTube instructional video on how to make an Olson mask with a pocket for a filter (they said use a vacuum cleaner HEPA filter, bag type and cut it out to fit inside the pocket). I sat down and designed a SVG file for either a template to trace fabric out and cut with scissors, or use the other file to directly cut out fabric. Setting will vary, of course, but I double the fabric over once and use thickness of 0.017" and speed 400, power 60%. Your local hospitals may be in dire need of these.

Cloth Olson Mask Cutout.zip (1.8 KB)

Mask Template.zip (7.4 KB)

Cloth Olson Mask Cutout Inkscape Mask Template Inkscape

33 Likes

Thank you for doing this!!! I am still new to Glowforge and I wanted to do this template! Thank you!!!

1 Like

Zipping is good. Good design thanks for the contribution. The SVG usually is uploaded, but it is very small. Discourse doesn’t quite get the display size of the SVG correct so you need to adjust the HxW of the tag and give it a few extra zeros.

large fit box imperial GF

6 Likes

thanks for helping people not thinking to yourself

2 Likes

I was just wondering if there is a brand of hepa filter bag you would recommend? best smelling bags? :slight_smile:

Just watching the video, they do not mention what brand or anything. I am in the trial phase of making my own masks and I just bought a HEPA air conditioning filter for my home that I will disassemble and cut to fit in the pocket. And, by no stretch of the imagination am I anyone to say what is safe, or this actually works. I am just trying to put a layer or two in between me/anyone and contaminated air.

Thank you, if you have time can you explain how to do this. I don’t even know what a HxW is…

I added a zero to the link. It was 100x100, and I changed it to 1000x1000. How do you know if it is actual size? Thanks…

Height and width. Or in this case width first then height. Those are the two numbers after the | . The image displayed in the post is resized as needed automatically in the browser but the SVG will still hold scale when using in the Glowforge. That is precisely what an SVG is designed for. Scalable vector graphic.

Your design software takes care of converting to correct dimensions as does the Glowforge. Most of the time. Just a few instances where the resolution scale isn’t consistent. I use a 20 x 12 art board in Inkscape and that is a good reference for going from application to application.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to share this file and video.

1 Like

How are people getting around the fabric blowing all over? I can see putting the magnets on the edges to keep it down, but once you cut out a piece the internal fan is going to whip it around. That and once a piece is cut, if another is cut near the edge, the air below the fabric is going to cause it to blow up giving an inconsistent cut… any solutions?

1 Like

I saw somewhere someone cut the mask pattern out of wood at like 90% of the size and put that on the fabric to prevent too much blowing around. To get this right you’d probably need to do one shape at a time.

1 Like

This is where the jig comes in handy again. Lay out your design. Make two copies, one larger, one smaller. Set the actual design line to ignore, and cut the larger and smaller lines on a full sized sheet. Discard the “strip” between them, and you have a repeatable jig to hold down the material, as well as pieces for the center. Set the inner and outer lines to ignore, and now only cut the design pattern.

1 Like

Was just wondering, I am new to this. I want to cut the file out. Is it the first one? I am assuming it is. Also, when I open the SVG, it resizes. What size should this be? I nervous as heck to mess this up. Bad enough anytime I cut something I have the fire extinguisher ready and say a prayer that all goes well. Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forum. The first one is the file. You opening in the GFUI (Glowforg user interface) or in a design program? If a design program, what design program are you using? Sometimes the scale gets messed up importing into it. Like an older version of Inkscape.

Try the second one to see if your scale is correct.

I was opening the file in the GFUI. I have Adobe products so I never downloaded Inkscape. Do you think I should? Honestly, the thing that frustrates me the most is sizing it somewhere, opening in GF, and it being a different size. When I opened the other one, it looks to be the right size, but it has the words in it, and obviously it would cut that out as well.

Thanks for the welcome. I was opening the file in the GFUI. I have Adobe products so I never downloaded Inkscape. Do you think I should? Honestly, the thing that frustrates me the most is sizing it somewhere, opening in GF, and it being a different size. When I opened the other one, it looks to be the right size, but it has the words in it, and obviously it would cut that out as well.

If you are using Illustrator, you can stick with that.
Here is a topic that discusses Illustrator scaling. Often there are issues depending one what program and options are used.

You might want to open a new topic and post some examples of scaling issues.

1 Like

Thank you! I sincerely appreciate your help. I was able to get the design to size. Now it’s saying there is “no artwork” even though it’s in the area, and I eliminated the mouth pieces because I want it different material. I could have hand cut all these faster at this point in time!

Did you do the Set Focus and make sure the operations are set?