One polyhedral to rule them all

One polyhedral to rule them all

This Lord of the Rings themed polyheral is 37.1% in between a Icosidodecahedron and its dual, a Rhombic Triacontahedron. Designed in Stella 4D, this unique shape is made 2 layers of 1/4" plywood, with the bottom layer being walnut and the top layer cedar and purpleheart. There are 12 pentagons, 20 triangles, 30 diamonds, and 60 rectangles. With 2 layers, this equals 192 face pieces attached with 30 internal 3D Connectors using 270 #6-32 black button head screws. Each face is laser engraved in Elvish with “One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.” The pentagons also have various LOTR images engraved. The 3D printed connectors were designed in Fusion 360 and printed with an Anycubic Kobra Max 3D filament printer using black PLA.

Build Pics

Final Result

Designing the shape with Stella 4D

Designing the connectors with Fusion 360

46 Likes

Awesome. What is the final diameter and weight?

16 Likes

I can’t imagine how long you worked on it. Beautiful job.

16 Likes

13" and 6 pounds

14 Likes

Looks amazing

14 Likes

It’s beautiful!!!

14 Likes

As always, beautiful and impressive.

15 Likes

As always, I’m amazed by your work.

13 Likes

Wow! This is epic.

12 Likes

It’s beautiful and lightyears beyond my level of focused attention to assemble, let alone design.

14 Likes

Love those lines. So beautiful

10 Likes

my mind is blown. Great job. Amazing stuff

9 Likes

Totally amazing! The 3d printed bits are solid? How thick?

9 Likes

Wow this is completely amazing. Phenomenal work!!!
One might say that it is infact… precious.

Not quite pineapple apple pen.

11 Likes

Your work always astounds me by its level of ingenuity and care.

8 Likes

Wow! That is really impressive!

7 Likes

These always make me start thinking about a 3D printer… Amazing work.

9 Likes

About half an inch thick. I’d make it a little thicker next time, as the middle pieces had plenty of plastic to screw into, but the edge holes were little thin on this one. Probably 18% infill on the 3D printed part, so they’re pretty light.

8 Likes

Oh my - precious!

8 Likes

That is just phenomenal!

5 Likes