Only 1/3 of my design got completely cut

I loaded a design that took up a good portion of a 12x20 proof grade maple sheet, and let the GF select the power and cut speed. However, only 1/3 of the design was cut completely through.

What can I do to ensure that the design gets 100% cut?

If your machine is operating correctly, the first thing to ensure is that the material is flat against the crumb tray and the crumb tray is sitting properly in its indents. Also you’ll want to make sure no debris is under the crumb tray particularly the feet. And similarly, no debris between the crumb tray and the material.

After that, you’ll want to note if the incomplete cuts are all on one side (close to the right edge, for example) or all during the same period of time (i.e. everything fine until the last few minutes of cuts).

You may also want to let support know time and timezone of the failure. Sometimes that helps them pull the proper logs.

2 Likes

It could be that my materials are a little warped. I don’t think things are sitting on the crumb tray as level as they should be. That’s a problem because that’s how they arrived in the box, which means I have nothing to cut!

many of us use magnets to hold an object down flatter to the crumb tray.

3 Likes

When I receive mine, I put them at the bottom of the pile concave down lying flat and let them acclimate to my Glowforge climate.

1 Like

I’ve also had some recent issues with not every Proofgrade cut going through, even after I made sure it was absolutely flat beforehand. This is the worst near the edges. I’ve had it on acrylic and draftboard.

I just got my replacement GF. The first test failed to cut through PG material. I wrote the support and included photos – but being the Friday before the holidays, I don’t expect a reply for a week.

I get through PG most times. Edges can be tricky.

@pfriedl, would you follow the troubleshooter here and let us know if you have any further trouble?

Everyone, please Store your Proofgrade Materials](https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/proofgrade) with care, inspect your Glowforge if you have cut through issues, and then please let us know when you have troubles so that we can make the settings and your printers are working well.

Hi @Rita – I did all of those steps with my replacement GF. It still doesn’t cut through on the initial test projects. I submitted an email to support with pictures but haven’t heard any replies.

My first GF cut correctly – but was returned due to a head alignment issue. (Head hit the front door.)

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread. I hope that’s because everything worked out! I’m going to close this topic. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.