Open Door - when not open

I just set up my new machine and started the catalog measure project. After loading the required material, I can’t get any further since it says “Door Open/Open Door.” I’ve restarted my machine, took out the crumb tray and restarted again. Still the same status. Started over in the glowforge space but nothing. I haven’t even gotten to use the machine so I know it’s not because of debris or anything in the way. I’ve read other forums and all of the recommendations I’ve done.

1 Like

Welcome to the community! Do you have a screen shot of your interface? In my experience the error message is more focused on the lid as opposed to a door.

1 Like

Check that the front door is firmly “clicked” into place…?

Thank you for the clarification. It is “lid open” so that was my typo.

1 Like

Yes, I have checked that and it’s firmly clicked into place. Thank you for the suggestion!

There’s magnets in the doors that when engaged send messages through the cables to confirm the doors are closed and the lid is closed. With the machine off, check that all the cables are seated firmly (no angles), and if any are questionable take a photo and post it here. That’s something that can happen in shipping sadly.

Hi Carley,

My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge and I’ll be helping you troubleshoot today. I’m so sorry you are having issues with your new machine! I want to get you up and running as soon as possible.

Could you do the following for me?

1. Power off your Glowforge

2. Open the lid and front door of your Glowforge

3. Remove your crumb tray

4. Check for and remove any debris that may prevent the front door from closing properly, particularly the area underneath the front door

5. Close the front door and lid

6. Power your Glowforge back on

7. If you’re still receiving the Lid Open message without the crumb tray installed, please take a look at the following photos and let me know anything looks different. If you see anything that looks different, please take a picture and send it to us. Also, if the lights on the lid of your Glowforge are not lighting up, please let me know.

​ ​

​ ​

I look forward to hearing back, ​

Hello Mercedes,

I followed all of those steps and I’m still getting the “Open Lid” message.

Which lights are you referring to? All lights are on in the machine but I’m not sure which lights you mean on the lid? The circle cut button isn’t lit up? But when the machine turns on it initially lights up.

This is a brand new machine and has never been used. I was having this issue right out of the box so I know there isn’t any debris or material that would be impacting the lid or pass through from shutting. Everything “clicks” or shuts fully and isn’t wobbly so I know it’s all shut.

Thank you for your help!
Carley

There’s a strip of lights along the full length of the lid, one on each side, that should come on when you turn on your Glowforge.

The same cable that provides power to those lights also carries the signal from door sensors and other parts, so if the lights aren’t coming on that would be useful information for pinpointing the cause of your Door Open or Lid Open error.

1 Like

Every machine is tested in the factory - so there could be debris. If you follow the steps they request you’ll get to a solution faster.

Hi Carley,

Thank you for these images! It looks like this might need a little bit more extensive troubleshooting. Due to this, I’m going to go ahead and close this forum post. But I will continue with the troubleshooting via email.

Regards,

1 Like