Open filled shape error on text?

OK, any idea how you could end up with the filled shape error (I mean other than a software bug in the motion planner?) on a text engrave? And BTW yesterday I ran into the opposite problem where in fact it did engrave an open shape (and I didn’t want it to!). Also from a UX standpoint, HIGHLIGHT THE FREAKIN OPEN PATH. That’s like forms that alert to a missing required field, and then don’t turn the field red so you can find your error…

Oh and the little graphics next to the MENU title are also text (wingdings)

Pssst… there’s a typo in the focaccia stuffing… actually 2!

3 Likes

If it’s just that text, you could just rasterize it.

Wow - I thought I was a good proofreader, but you win for this one!

2 Likes

Purely accidental. I love focaccia, so I was intrigued by the idea of making stuffing with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, maybe the motion planner objected to my spelling…

3 Likes

That was my solution, but that’s a workaround rather than the expected workflow

1 Like

Well to troubleshoot it I would first have nixed the wingdings to see if converting it to a path hadn’t left something open. Then if that didn’t do it I would have changed fonts.

I agree that more info for errors is good. It’s odd to see something like this, but I have had a few times where particular fonts on being converted to paths have some strange node behavior. Wonder if it is the font for heading. Looks like Castellar. It has some islands in it. Just wondering.

“Academy Engraved LET” (from Adobe)

My ancestors all shrugged with “In Russia Focaccia Spells You!”. It was funny recently someone of english decent was bragging how long ago his family emigrated (and since I was jewish it had to be more recent, so he asked when my ancestors came to the US, and I noted that they came after the Battle of Moscow. Oh so the 1940’s, that’s recent. HaHa, not that battle of Moscow (there have been many), the one against Napoleon (my ancestor is reported to have remarked to a local paper, that he fled since any army willing to burn their capital down in the middle of the Russian winter to deny the enemy food and shelter is too crazy to stay with…"

For those unfamiliar with the battle, napoleon got his ass kicked. It did however lead to what is considered the best infographic in the history of informatics.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve done this for files intended for the GF, but you can run a fill from the outside (use a bounding shape if necessary) and any open text paths will be filled. (Edit - I did just test in Inkascape and it found and filled a tiny break I made in some text.

1 Like

Wow, so glad to see this error message! I was just wondering why we haven’t seen a few “random line” questions lately and this is probably why. (It may have been around forever, but this is the first I’ve seen it.) You wouldn’t think converting the text would create an open node, but I wonder if the GF is also picking up any stacked nodes that would create the random engraving line as well?

1 Like

The funny part is that I didn’t notice focaccia. I noticed “saudage.” It wasn’t until halfway through the comment that I saw focaccia, too. :wink: I was just going along with your spelling!

2 Likes

And none of you noticed Tequila! And that’s why you buy spare slate… Why AI doesn’t have spell check is beyond me. But I pasted the text into Word which corrected it all…

3 Likes

AI has spell check. :slight_smile:

Are you using 2020? The older versions required manually running it. The newer version has an auto/live spell check.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/spelling-language-dictionaries.html

Re the open path… I should run a test before suggesting it, but an errant click with the text tool will create an otherwise invisible section of text. While this should give you a text processing error (because it’s written as text in the SVG), it’s possible that if you selected all and expanded the text, it may create an open path. Just an idea.

3 Likes

Holy crap! Why yes 2020 does (the curse of AI is that there is too much there to know where to find stuff). And it by the way did flag Focaccia but wanted to rename it Iacocca. Which while I enjoy 1980’s Chrysler executives as much as the next guy (I mean who doesn’t love a maserati logo on a K-Car!?:nauseated_face:), isn’t helpful. And no creating the Mustang does not cancel out creating the Pinto…

2 Likes

BTW, I updated that post with an idea about the open path, which may be right or may be wrong. Just an idea.

Don’t forget the fine Corinthian Leather :smile:

(Undoubtedly from cows living in Corinth.)

1 Like