Orange button

My button is orange. Temperature is fine and everything seems to be connected correctly. How can I fix this?

Check the cable that connects to the print head and make sure it is secure.

2 Likes

By fine, what do you mean? Because 75° is fine for me but my forge hates it.

3 Likes

@deko630 I’m so sorry you are getting an orange button.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it looks like the orange button is appearing because the Glowforge is having trouble communicating with the printer head. There are two key connections I’d like you to check for me.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.
  3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.
  4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.
  5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.
  6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.
  7. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.
  8. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:
  9. Take a photo of the circuit board. If the cable I’ve indicated above with the red arrow appears to be loose, please reconnect it and try printing again. This cable should ‘click’ back into place.
  10. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  11. post the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.

It ran fine this morning, but the orange light is back. I can’t get a good shot of the circuit board, but everything is is place as it should be

Hi @deko630,

Thank you for working through the steps my colleague David provided and for sending the photo.

I’m sorry to hear the orange button is still appearing. The printer head pins look good and since you’ve confirmed the cable connection is also good, then unfortunately it looks like your Glowforge is in need of repair.

I’m going to go ahead and close this forum post and move our conversation to email, so that we can discuss the repair details with you.

You should see an email from me in a few minutes. If you don’t receive it shortly, please check your spam folder.

Thank you!