Orange Light and need help quickly please

So like many others the Orange Light shows up and its not fun. I am pretty desperate because I have many orders and just opened a physical store when this happens. The machine turns on and will load my file no problem. When I hit Print it goes to the center to focus and I notice the red laser doesn’t shoot down like normal and freezes. Orange Light comes on I’m done. At this point I am hoping my logs will tell them something, because I got nothing. Below is what I have tried so far.

• Checked the white cable going to the head including the other end going into the board on the left of the machine
  • Checked the cables on the lid, everything closed and snug
  • Cleaned all lenses and the mirror on head (and lens on the left of machine)
  • Insured fans (mini fan on head unit, small fan underneath head, exhaust and intake) are cleaned and working properly
  • My exhaust is going outside and it about 40 degrees out so I’m pretty sure its not heat, this did not occur after a print, I have not got to print in a few days now.
  • Internet seems to be fine (reset router) no issue communicating and loading projects
  • I replaced the printer head lens, printer head window, and the laser window just a couple months ago also.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope…

I think orange means that it’s too hot or too cold.
I like to think of it as needing the temperature that an infant would need. :smiley:
Is your environment the right temps? Is cold air coming in through your vent or something? Is it too hot?

1 Like

I tried to turn it on with the exhaust hanging outside and with it inside just to see if it made a difference I don’t believe it has. Its odd that it wont get past centering, the red laser doesn’t come on.

These are the temp ranges:
The Glowforge Basic is designed for use between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75°F (24°C). The Pro has an expanded operating range up to 81°F (27°C).

I’m sorry for the trouble with your Glowforge and that you’re unable to print. Thank you for the photos you’ve sent so far.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it looks like the orange button is appearing because the Glowforge is having trouble communicating with the printer head. There are two key connections our team will need to check.

One of the connections we check is the socket on the print head. Since you’ve already sent us photos of that connection, and it looks normal, we’ll just need you to do the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.

3. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:

4. Take a photo of the circuit board. If the cable I’ve indicated above with the red arrow appears to be loose, please reconnect it and try printing again. This cable should ‘click’ back into place.

5. Turn your Glowforge back on.

Please share the photo of the circuit board. Once we have it, our team will inspect it and follow up with next steps.

Attachments

I unplugged it and plugged back in, seems connected properly.

Hold down the button that usually flashes blue until the orange light goes away. While still holding the button, turn off the on switch in the back. Release the blue (orange) button, wait about 10 seconds and then turn it back on. This worked for me and haven’t had that problem since.

The reason why 10 seconds is recommended is because capacitors need to discharge to really power off the device. 10 seconds is a safe number now a days to be able to ensure caps all drained out and you truly are restarting. Holding down the teal button might have been adding value in ensuring the device is powered off long enough

Thank you so much for sending those photos over to my colleague Ivan!

Everything looks as expected, but I’m still seeing the error on our end.

To help us take a deeper look, I’ll need some more information about your printer. Could you please send me the following photos?

Assuming you’re using a smartphone, try these tips for great photos:

• Use flash
  • Zoom in using the digital zoom
  • Hold the camera/phone far enough back to get a good focus.

First, please turn off your Glowforge.

1. Motor on the laser arm (and surrounding):

​​

2. Inside, left of machine:

3. Inside, front left side - small green board​​

Next, gently pull the laser arm all the way forward.

4. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see the larger green circuit board:

5. Left side of the front door:

Once we have the above photos, we’ll follow up with the next steps!

Attachments

Can some one please open a ticket on this one? I am really worried about orders pilling up.

This post IS your support ticket…that’s why you are receiving responses from the ‘staff’. Their responses are highlighted in yellow and the word ‘staff’ appears after their name.

1 Like

I am really leaning on it being the white cable itself. It is definitely scratched in multiple places due to use and has exposed wire. I managed to clean a little more and it cut for about 10 seconds before losing connection again. I also noticed the red dot laser came on that time during the boot process, which I haven’t had in awhile (since it broke).

When the machine boots (even after doing a hard reset) and does its initial setup, the moment it should shoot out the red dot laser is when the machine stops and gives me the orange light. It doesn’t get past that set. That fact that I got it to work for a few seconds and stopped made me think something went lose or I had a short which interrupted it.

Can I please get a reply from Glowforge official, it has been 7 days after I sent the photos you requested. Also is it possible to get a replacement for the white cable?

Hang in there…they’ll get back to you. If it is the white cable, it’s quite possible that they will want to exchange your unit for a refurb since the white cable is not a consumer repairable part.

Found more exposed wires near the fan on the head.