Orange light and stuck on focus

Hey everyone,

So I was mid cut for acrylic and the machine stopped because of needing to cool down, it was stuck like that for about 20 mins. Now I have an orange light, the head is stuck on “focus” and the printer head will not move. I’ve checked the cables, to the printer head, all the pins are straight, there’s no damage to the white ribbon and no matter what I do I can’t get it out of focus mode. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’ve also checked the other cables to the camera and the lid, all at fine. The cables to the print head have also clicked into place when reattaching. I’ve cleaned all the lenses, I restarted my router and have confirmed the wireless connection is ok, GFUI reads “lid open” when open. I went through the setup process again as well. I also moved the printer head to under the camera so it can “find” itself. The machine is 2 weeks old. The room the machine is set up in is at 67 degrees. The inside of the glowforge after sitting is also at 67 and hours later I’m still stuck with a yellow light. Just some context for support.

I’m sorry for the trouble you’ve run into with your Glowforge. Thank you for letting us know what you’ve already tried and that you’ve checked the pins on your print head.

I’d like to have our team take a close look at your print heads connection as well as the circuit board in the left side of the unit to check for anything unusual.

Could you please do the following to send us photos of these two areas?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.

3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.

4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.

5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.

6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.

7. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.

8. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:

9. Take a photo of the circuit board. If the cable I’ve indicated above with the red arrow appears to be loose, please reconnect it and try printing again. This cable should ‘click’ back into place.

10. Turn your Glowforge back on.

11. Send us the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.

Once we have these two photos, we’ll review everything and follow up with next steps.

Attachments

It worked for a minute cut last night, stopped in the middle to cool down again. Tonight still getting a yellow light and it won’t stop focusing.

Hi @alisonalmas. Thank you for getting back to us with the photos. I reviewed the extracted log files from your Glowforge and saw that it was recently able to get through the focusing stage of prints, but was encountering some recent trouble with cooling as mentioned. I made an adjustment our end to help. Can you try running some test prints, and letting me know any dates and times of prints if they continue to fail? I can review those in the log files for any follow up troubleshooting needed. I’ll look forward to any updates. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.