Orrery #3

This is a complete remake of my version #2 orrery. That one, the gears got more stiff over time, and someone forced it too hard and there was some slip. I didn’t really like the base I made, so I designed a new base, and this one re-uses the marbles and one bearing from that v2 build. I used metal GoBilda gears, bearings, and D-shaft from ServoCity. The laser cut pieces are :proofgrade: walnut, :proofgrade: maple, and :proofgrade: clear acrylic. The motion is much smoother, and I really like the new stand and clear acrylic gear and marble structure.

Updated Illustrator Schematic

Updated gears. I couldn’t get the moon rotation exactly 12.36 with the available GoBilda gear sizes, but got pretty close at 12.5 moon rotations per one earth orbit.

https://vimeo.com/898658342

69 Likes

You’ve really outdone yourself this time!

18 Likes

I don’t have the words to fully express my admiration for your various skills and artistic abilities. This is so fun to look at. Thanks for sharing your outstanding builds with us.

20 Likes

Thinking this belongs in a magazine, but so glad you shared with us!

20 Likes

Beautiful work!

20 Likes

This is just amazing

17 Likes

That’s beautiful!

18 Likes

I’m in awe. Well imagined and executed. :clap:

18 Likes

Magnificent!

17 Likes

Gorgeous! Those colored marbles are really lovely.

14 Likes

Wow, talk about eye candy!

14 Likes

That is amazing! Thank you so much for showing us!

12 Likes

I can’t imagine the work and the skill that went into that. I can’t stop looking at it. You sure have a talent.

10 Likes

My boys just got into robotics this year. So I am familiar with the GoBilda gears now.

This is really amazing and has me wondering if I could do my clock with some of the their gears…

14 Likes

That is just phenomenal. Totally amazed at your talent.

10 Likes

Wow, this is phenomenal. Thank you for sharing!!!

10 Likes

Wow! What a beautiful, well executed project!! :star_struck:

10 Likes

Amazing!

8 Likes

I really love all of the math and then the aesthetic touch in your projects. This is top notch as always!

8 Likes

What a beautiful and amazing project. You do incredible work.

10 Likes