Orrery #2

As a follow up to the Copernican Orrery I made in 2020, this one is just the sun, earth, and moon. I designed the gears using https://geargenerator.com/. I bought the marbles off etsy, and the bearings and D Shaft off servocity. Mostly :proofgrade: maple, walnut and clear acrylic at different thicknesses. This is one that I’ve been tinkering with for over a year, and made the push in the past few days to get it done.

It started from this…

104 Likes

Whoa! That is a jaw-dropper. Beautiful work!

12 Likes

Fantastic model - great work

7 Likes

This is awesome and beautiful!

It is very “clock” like and I love it! I use the geargenerator.com when I am designing my gears for my clocks also.

13 Likes

That is brilliant. What a beautiful construction!

10 Likes

Beautifully designed and executed, as always.

9 Likes

Wow! Now this is someone who is not intimidated by gears! Beautiful!

One question: the Glowforge does not cut with a perfectly square profile, it is trapezoidal somewhat with the base being slightly wider than the top. Do you ever find this to be an issue or do you have to file the gears square each time?

9 Likes

No filing on this model, and the motion is pretty smooth.

8 Likes

I find that if you reverse every other gear they line up smoothly. You only have to worry about them trying to push apart to the side.

But you do have a good point about the kerf and how it is not completely uniform and that has to be accounted for in precise projects.

14 Likes

Wow! This is stunning as ever, your attention to detail is always so incredible.

8 Likes

Oh, this is so extraordinary awesome!

10 Likes

I’m speechless!

5 Likes

Wonderful work Mike, I think you could easily sell a lot of your files. :wink:

8 Likes

Really gorgeous. Orrery#1 was an impossible act to follow but this stands up well.

8 Likes

Beautiful work! Do you manually nudge it each day?

5 Likes

Cool! Noted.

2 Likes

Excellent.

3 Likes

Wow! I love this so much. Serious props!

4 Likes

I’m such a sucker for anything with gears. This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing the photos.

5 Likes

That is just amazing!

4 Likes