Orrery #3

I really love all of the math and then the aesthetic touch in your projects. This is top notch as always!

8 Likes

What a beautiful and amazing project. You do incredible work.

10 Likes

It would be cool to accomplish the same information with your clock so it told the moon phases, tides, and which astrological sign any of the planets would be in. Way far beyond my ability but very cool!
:thinking:

10 Likes

That is incredible!

7 Likes

I have seen clocks that did that, but they ran on some powered source, not just a weight or spring. I just want to get a clock working again, before I get too fancy.

11 Likes

Stunning design and execution. Your combination of talents to make this is amazing.
It´s as beautiful, as complex as it looks.

8 Likes

Amazing and beautiful! A couple of questions: What is the purpose of the multi-tiered acrylic center? Does it just provide support for the center axle or does it perform another mechanical function critical to scaled movement? Have you considered motorizing the gears?

6 Likes

The different tiers are necessary to change gear ratios, so that the moon orbits around the earth approximately the same number of times as in real life. I pondered motorizing it, but it would have taken away some of the aesthetics. I did, previously, motorized my Copernican orrery:

11 Likes

This is some awesome stuff right there!

(Is there a ‘follow’ function in this forum that I am not seeing? I see that you make a bunch of really neat stuff here!)

8 Likes

Sadly no - lots of anti-follow options but none the other way around. Hey @emilyhuh is that something ya’ll can turn on in the forum software?

7 Likes

Let me do some digging and see if we can enable that!

7 Likes

You can use his name as a search term. BTW, that copernican orrery even blew away the guy that he bought the gear ratios from, and IMHO the best thing I have seen by anyone including his more recent wotk.

7 Likes

Impressive stuff!

4 Likes

How very cool! Each iteration is more impressive than the last!

5 Likes

WOW just WOW! I’ve been dreaming of making something like this. You did an outstanding job! Congrats!

7 Likes

Geez, step up your game much?

That turned out terrific!

7 Likes

Like on the cover of Maker magazine.

5 Likes

I’ve made a few decent things with the laser. The orreries are a couple of my favorites. I do have something in process that steps it up even more. Soon…

9 Likes

look forward to seeing it.

I am getting 2 leather projects off the ground after anticipating this since I got delivery. You and the rest of the merry band of ZAPPERS around here keep me believing I will get things done eventually. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I look forward to anything your amazingly creative mind comes up with @pubultrastar!

5 Likes