Copernican Orrery

Trying to support other artists, I have started working on a few projects by purchasing the designs on things that interest me. My latest project is a Copernican orrery that is a highly customized version of the Clayton Boyer orrery. I used these plans as a starting point, but almost everything outside of the gear ratios has been modified. The enclosure is a combination of Walnut, maple, draftboard, and clear acrylic. The gears are baltic birch. The Zodiac artwork was purchased from Creative Market. I tried to use as much clear acrylic as possible so you could see the gears working inside. I still have some clean up to do on the edges, but otherwise this thing works great. I modified the design to use a gear motor instead of a hand crank, and works well plugged in to the wall or battery. The planet marbles were purchased off Amazon and Etsy. I may put together an instructable or additional pics showing how I got this to fit on the Glowforge if anyone is interested.

The rotation of the planets is also reversible, as I think I have it going the wrong way on this video:

120 Likes

Flabbergasting as usual :exploding_head: :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

7 Likes

I have but one question: when is the great conjunction?

9 Likes

Just amazing!!!

5 Likes

Wow, another beautiful project from you that I would love to see in person.
You are going to need to open a museum someday. I picture something like House on the Rock

7 Likes

Gorgeous!

7 Likes

Between this and your other shapes (Platonic and otherwise) you’re going to need a bigger house :slight_smile:

Looks great. :clap:

7 Likes

wow

4 Likes

I think we need two more suns for that!

" The Great Conjunction is the end of the world…or the beginning. End, begin. All the same! Big change! Sometimes good, sometimes bad!"
~ Aughra

Man, after reading that, it might be now :astonished:

Also, fantastic piece of work combining other makers art with your own flair, @pubultrastar!

7 Likes

7 Likes

Beautiful! (Looked like Jupiter was getting all frisky on Saturn there for a while.) :smile:

9 Likes

Sheeeeesh. That’s something!

5 Likes

Wow, this is impressive! Well done!

4 Likes

That is amazing!

I wish I could see the gears better. Did you cut them on the :glowforge: too? They are so dark I cannot tell.

5 Likes

I regret having nothing more accurate than a single like to attach to this latest work of art. I want to see it in motion. I want to gaze at it and think about the universe. Thanks for sharing.

9 Likes

Worth buying the pattern for the gear ratios, but WOW I love what you did with it!

7 Likes

So, my first reaction was “Damn!”

Then I showed it to my twin, and she said “Damn!”

That’s amazing! Well done, you!

9 Likes

Gorgeous! THIS is what having a laser cutter is all about!

6 Likes

I just keep watching the video over and over…

This makes me want to get some of those brass tubes and put a second hand on my clock…

Just so amazing, but you never seem to disappoint! I just hope to be half as good as you some day!! Inspiring, just inspiring!

3 Likes

Here are some additional build pics and video:

20 Likes