Overheating, but only AFTER a print. Not during

Hello,

My GlowForge is overheating pretty much every day now. It never stops during a print, only after. From my understanding, if it was overheating during a print it would stop mid way and resume. Its completing my first print of the day, then it won’t print for the rest of the day.

I’ve gone through the helpdesk multiple times, did all the tips and tricks to get it working. Got a portable AC unit right next to it as well. I am in southern California. So it is hot outside, but its a nice 68 degrees in my room with the AC on. (same room Glowforge is in) I also cleaned the unit. I’m at a loss of what to do next. I seriously think it may be a bug due to the fact it stops after the first print of the day. But i can’t deduce why it starts working the next day.

I’m so sorry you hit a snag. I’ve extracted the logs from your Glowforge and it looks when you posted your unit was too warm to start a print. When this happens, you can do the following to help your unit cool down so you can print:

• Go to https://app.glowforge.com/maintenance/fan and click through the prompts until you get to the ‘Start Fan’ page.
  • Click the ‘Start Fan’ button and allow the fans to run for 5 minutes.
  • You do not need to follow the rest of the “Fan Cleaning” instructions to move the Glowforge outside or use degreaser.
  • Click ‘Finish’ to exit fan cleaning mode
  • Try your print again

I’m going to share this with the engineering team to let them know that this is a problem. In the mean time, to prevent it in the future, you can try the following:

• Operate the Glowforge in a cooler room (recommended ambient temperatures are on the tech specs page)
  • Leave your Glowforge on with the lid open to circulate coolant (note that this may allow odors from the crumb tray to enter the room)

I am going to close this thread. If you have any more trouble please start a new one.

1 Like