Padauk Earrings

Very cool Ruth :+1:

3 Likes

Love how delicate they look!

2 Likes

oh boy, these are gorgeous…I haven’t made earrings yet but it’s time

2 Likes

Ooooo, very nice indeed! Have you considered coating them with resin to protect the wood from sweat and weather?

2 Likes

That would require me to overcome my fear of resin. :wink:

2 Likes

Och, it’s easy and fun—you should try it!

5 Likes

Let’s be resinable, it’s not that scary.

8 Likes

Fine, when we get to TX you can teach me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have been making earrings with intricate patterns from blood wood, purpleheart wood an cherry wood. About half of the purpleheart and bloodwood break before the wire loop is installed. The cherry is much stronger, but not as popular. I have been think about glueing two 1/16" pieces together with the grain crossed, so that they will be much stronger. However, I think that the thicker wood would not present as well for an earring. What do you think?

2 Likes

That’s actually what I did here, except the final thickness is a bit less than 1/16. So far it seems to be working!

So you glued together two 1/16" pieces and then sanded down?
More work than I wanted to do…

They’re also pretty at 1/8" thick. This is the first one I cut, in 1/8" cherry ply. A little Rub 'N Buff on the edges would dress it up, probably.

5 Likes

My experience with paduk is that it is plenty strong enough for anything. a bit of furniture oil after sanding with even 2000 grit before can make an amazing difference

2 Likes

Nice delicate design. You have to love Steve Good.

3 Likes

These are just beautiful! I’m awaiting a CD of Steve Good’s designs. He has some excellent files.

2 Likes

What cut setting did you use. When I tried to cut earrings similar to these I got burn marks even using painters tap over the wood.

You should set up a cut test.

Then you’ll never have to ask again, a test like this takes less time than posting and awaiting an answer.

2 Likes

I used the test strip posted above by @evansd2–it’s a game changer! I have it saved in my GFUI projects list a couple of times at different power settings, so I can just run it on an edge and look to see what is going to turn out best. No more guessing!

How did I never see that one before, thanks @evansd2 - that is quite useful.

They look great and I like the Padouk wood as well!! (Not just saying that because I like to say “Padouk”)

2 Likes