Paint rack for miniature paints

I tend to use Lowes or Home Depot 0.187" Chalkboard MDF as prototype material. Cuts easily on my PRU. It comes in either 2’ x 3’ or 2’ x 4’ depending on whether I get it at Lowes or Home Depot. It is just MDF that has a black coating on one side so that it can be used as a chalkboard. A little more pricey than straight MDF at $9.95 a sheet but still an available bargain. The nice part is that the black side doesn’t suffer from smoke damage since it can be wiped off. Mask the other side if you care about it. With the right settings it doesn’t char much but still creates a lot of smoke residue. They also carry a version called Whiteboard.

Draftboard might be a better choice for those that have a week to wait for each delivery.

12 Likes

Excellent! I also play Warhammer and I’d like to make some terrain with the GF, so thanks for posting this.

1 Like

Glad to hear this…your designs are inspirational! :grinning:

Hope you will share or sell that template!

I’ve since cut this a few more times (I have a lot of paints) using the maple plywood, and it came out great. I’ve also added zip tie holes to the back so that it can be fastened down to something behind it. Finally, I’ve also added a second rack type for the one sitting on top of a stack that has a shelf for other supplies.

30 Likes

Yes you do! I think you might be the first person I’ve met who has more of those than I do! :grinning:

(Fantastic storage solution!) :grinning:

4 Likes

Damn that looks fine! Looks like a lot of war paints and washes. Probably not Gundam or mecha models am I right?

1 Like

RPG and wargame miniature painting.

1 Like

I want to see how the glowforge design store works before deciding if I sell or give away.

2 Likes

That is an awesome setup. I have tons of paints and love this idea for storing them.

Any update on if you’re releasing the svg for this? I just bought the Army Painter Mega Set and really need to make something to store it in.

Yeah, I’ll just release it on Thingiverse. How many paint droppers wide by tall are you looking for?

As a side note, I don’t have any army painter droppers, so I can’t confirm ahead of time that they fit (thought I hear they are basically the same size as vallejo)

1 Like

I’d be looking to fit 50.

I’ll upload versions for 3x10, 4x10, 5x10 and 6x10

4 Likes

Over the next week or so, I’ll post the other miniature hobby related laser cut items I’ve made.

2 Likes