Paisley Guitar

Well done. That took some smarts… and guts!

1 Like

it helps that we started with a raw, unfinished guitar body. so we weren’t going to ruin a $500+ guitar if i messed up, just a $50-$100 blank. i still felt way too angsty about it, which in retrospect was silly. it wouldn’t have been the end of the world to have to buy a new blank.

if someone handed me a $1,000+ guitar and said, “engrave that paisley pattern on this,” i’d probably say no.

if they asked me to engrave something simpler (i.e., more forgiving) to line up, i’d probably do it. possibly.

4 Likes

The name is starting to sink in with me…Les Paul, Guild, Martin, Paisley…I like it.

WOW STUNNING !!! how long did that take?

1 Like

hah!

they’re branded as CAM Custom Guitars.

1 Like

Absolutely amazing!

2 Likes

Fantastic - so crisp and the design just pops!

3 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

incredible!!!

1 Like

I have an old Washburn guitar I was wanting to try this on. It is factory painted red already though. My concern is not knowing what chemicals may be inside that paint and released through processing. Any suggestions or thoughts?

i haven’t tried anything but a raw wood guitar yet. everything we’ve done has been a kit build.

1 Like

Outstanding. #necrogame

5 Likes

interesting timing for you to bump this. i have another paisley guitar mostly set up to engrave, probably later this week. and this time on an already lacquered guitar. i did a fancy peace sign on a lacquered guitar and it worked fine, but the stench running out my vent was pretty bad. i didn’t smell it (yay external fan), but my wife was around the corner in the back yard and asked me what the hell i was engraving. this will take 4-5X the time of the peace sign, so neighbors beware (thankfully i don’t really like the neighbors on the side my GF vents out).

7 Likes

So are these designed mostly as display pieces? seems like the rough engraved texture might be unpleasant to play? Maybe fill with resin if it’s to be played? I’ve always thought these were cool but wondered about that aspect (not being a guitar player myself, I have no context)

1 Like

i haven’t played any of them a lot, but i don’t really notice it. and where your hand tends to hit the guitar is where the pickguard is. there is a spray lacquer finish, but it’s not quite the same thickness as the factory ones. i leave the masking on before i give it to my friend and he puts the finish over the engraved area, if it’s already lacquered. if not, he just lacquers the whole guitar if it was naked (i.e., stained or whitewashed but no lacquer finish yet). i think he’s using essentially an automotive clear coat.

5 Likes

Bumps are always interesting. I totally forgot about this amazing guitar and was thinking of doing something similar in the near future (as soon as I finish a few furniture pieces). Now I can bookmark it!

2 Likes

A bit off topic, but… Searching for #necrogame will find a lot of these:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=%23necrogame%20order%3Alatest

If you want to play the general (super unofficial) guideline is “A thread that hasn’t had a comment in at least a year that is still great”, which is pretty easy to narrow down with the following search:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?expanded=true&q=in%3Afirst%20before%3A2021-05-06%20%23glowforge-project-examples%20order%3Alatest

The original thread about the necrogame was here:

4 Likes

Gorgeous!!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning!!

1 Like