Today I’ve been trying to nail down paper cutting. I know people have been engraving their paper cuts to avoid overburn on corners, but that takes ages and I can’t wait that long.
I’ve been cutting at maximum speed and the lowest power that will cut through, but it’s been tough. I’ve seen charring, incomplete cuts on high speed long straights, and spots on corners. While I was practicing on some card patterns, I thought what if I used minimal power and adjusted speed way down to cut? That would reduce the speed differentials overall. It seemed to work, so I searched for something suitably frilly and found these Easter lilies at Scherenschnitte.
Some of those threads are filamentous, but none of them broke; the apparent break in the top left is in the design.
I had three wishes: no charring, no discoloration, and minimal weeding. It’s not perfect: there was plenty of weeding. Those long thin cuts get stuck in spots, but nothing a gentle tug won’t separate. There is no charring or smoke discoloration, but there is plenty of soot from the cuts which causes the darkened areas. And in fact, this is the reverse side I’m showing you, the front is noticeably sootier because that’s where I mostly handled it from. I understand from reading elsewhere this is common with laser cutting paper.
Settings were 200/5 on 22# printer paper. I didn’t take power down to 1 and slow it down even further because I was impatient.