Papyrus skit from SNL

26 Likes

Wonderful.

2 Likes

I like that font. Haha

2 Likes

My feeling is, Papyrus ought to be an acceptable font choice as long as you do it deliberately, giving it serious thought, and not on a whim.:laughing:

3 Likes

this video is accurate. iā€™ve never met a graphic designer who didnā€™t hate it (and, by extension, avatarā€™s typography). i agree with them all.

5 Likes

Not a day goes by where I donā€™t see it in some form or another on billboards, adverts, you name it.

I suggest everyone read Susan Sontagā€™s Notes on ā€œCampā€. Itā€™s just this strange thing that something in and of itself has artistic and design merit, but couple that with mass production and thus the overwhelming recontextualization that takes place, it becomes wrong. What should fit just isnā€™t appropriate.

Of all the Twilight of the Idols things of post-modern culture, the realization that there is no art that can stand a chance to be sacred and untouchable. Art is dead once it leaves the artists mind. So sad, so sad.

4 Likes

Indeed. Think of the feelings of the artist who designs movie art who first sees their work in the waste bin on Happy Meal packaging. Although I suppose you have to expect that going in to any commercial art project.

ā€¦and it isnā€™t a visual crutch to establish your brandā€™s ā€˜ethnicā€™-ness.

2 Likes

I was asked to make stickers for the guests at a wedding I attended this past weekend. I made 450 stickers, and Iā€™m gonna guess that at least half of them went into the trash by the end of the night. Gotta expect it.

4 Likes

Sometimes when I am in the car with my wife, I will see a work truck with a Papyrus logotype on the door. I grab her arm and mutter, ā€œLook at that, lazy, LAZY! $#^&@ why would you DO that ā€¦ Weā€™re never hiring THAT guyā€¦ā€

Itā€™s like the producers of that Papyrus video made it for me personally.

I need a looping gif of the bit where heā€™s tapping his coffee mug.

6 Likes

A small part of me is beginning to understand why rural middle Americans shake their heads at what I might consider correct. :no_mouth:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s an ā€œItalianā€ restaurant downtown, check this out: Petriniā€™s - I gotta tell you, its not low quality, its just bland. It teeters on the edge of acceptable. Something-something-makes-sense.

I saw one on the highway today. Itā€™s everywhere.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really funny. I loathe Papyrus and Impact

2 Likes

Jan thoroughly enjoyed that sketch. She too has an intense hatred for Papyrus. Did anyone else notice that the red-headed step-child to Papyrus, Comic-Sans was used for the end-title? :rofl:

6 Likes

Yes, I did!

The Papyrus font creator speaks out about Papyrus and the SNL skit, here: :joy:

4 Likes

Have a lot of respect for designers and artists of all types, though I have no abilities in those areas. And can easily understand why a choice of a particular font is important for things like road safety signs or how selection of one font and color or another works better from a marketing standpoint. But once the arguments move beyond the design world and into the mainstream itā€™s just using egos to herd sheep.

My highest level of disdain is reserved for those that think the aesthetics of design or art should be directed. Fashion police, font police, art critics, etc. No useful contribution to society that I can think of.

8 Likes

That was a nice try, but Iā€™m still afraid to admit that I actually like both Comic Sans and Papyrus in public.

The shame of it all! ROFL! :smile:

6 Likes

Yes, I feel itā€™s time for me to come out.
I used to be a red head, and I like comic sans, and especially Papyrus.
So there.

< :upside_down_face: >

5 Likes