Parametric Chess board

Made this while on a call the other day. :slight_smile:

YACB - Yet Another Chess Board - Chess Board

27 Likes

Thank you! I’ve used Cuttle so many times!!

6 Likes

Nicely done. I find Cuttle so useful.

5 Likes

Is there anyway to use cuttle without a subscription? I’m not interested in signing up for another service.

I don’t mind paying for good software I just don’t want to be part of another ecosystem that’s going to bleed me.

7 Likes

There are three levels. No account, Free Account, and Paid Account.

• You can download a file and use most of the features without any account.
  • You can trade your email address for access to save 5 projects.
  • You can pay for pro features, unlimited files?, and access to pro templates.

AFAIK

10 Likes

I found that there were some other chess boards that were shared, but was surprised that they were all “hardcoded”. I created this one to show some of the useful parametric features.

10 Likes

I only ever make Tablero boards, which are 7x7 - I need to make a default template for that!

3 Likes

Is it a drinking game? I am having a difficult time finding a reference.

4 Likes

Very clean look.

4 Likes

It definitely can be, but it can also be played with any liquid so it’s most frequently played with iced tea with my friends :slight_smile:

This is one I made for some pirates:

5 Likes

and since it is done with scores and is a fast print!

6 Likes

Your chessboard is pretty but wrong. First, algebraic notation is fixed from the viewpoint of white, and every square has one label. Your board has two labels for every square. The square in the lower left for white is a1. Your board has it as both a1 and h8, making it invalid. To fix this, the labeling on the top and right need to be reversed.

Second, algebraic notation uses a to h, not A to H.

2 Likes

You actually made me curious enough to look this up. You are right and it only makes sense that 1-8 go only one way. The capitalization seems to only be a thing for chess perl clutchers as there are plenty of examples both ways.

4 Likes

Yes, some boards have uppercase letters but they are considered wrong by chess players. It matters because capital letters are used for pieces. B is a bishop while b is a file (column). Any player who actually records their games will always write a1, not A1. So, you might as well get it right.

2 Likes

Thanks. I should have checked with a reliable source rather than update the ones that I found.

Is it permissible to rotate the orientation of the label for the player, or does black read them upside-down?

1 Like

Some chessboards only have a single set of labels (and you’ll see that in books), but the preferred labeling is like you have it. Each player has labels on the bottom and left that face them. White’s are a-h left-to-right, while Black’s are h-a left-to-right, etc.

4 Likes

I see you’ve updated it. Looks great!

4 Likes