Parametric Tab Test - Collaborations

Yes, they seem flush.

Okay good - that means the problem is with the kerf…

Here’s a new version with the kerf upped to 0.01 inches from 0.006 inches. Let’s see if it tightens up.

Parametric Tab File 2 (0.01 inch kerf) .zip (32.7 KB)

i put this one in PDF format just so we could test that as well.

without cutting it, I’m sure that’s going to be too tight…if anything go inbetween with .008

1 Like

Okay, stand by…

Okay, version with 0.008 inch kerf:

Parm Tab 3 (0.008 inch kerf.zip (6.0 KB)

1 Like

You Rock Laser Lady!!

4 Likes

:sleepy: Didnt get a chance to run this…too many other things begging for my attention today…
Will be in tomorrow for a bit and run it then.:grinning:

3 Likes

No rush! Really appreciate the use of your materials and machine! :grinning:

(Got to feed the fella anyway - or he can get testy. Might shut me off.) :wink:

2 Likes

Once we get our GFs we’ll just be able to send the print job right to the other persons unit… How cool is that? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well not directly…they still have to accept it and run the print…

2 Likes

Yes, I know, but think of how easy it is to share ideas when you don’t have to shlep files around…

6 Likes

Even better, once the forge is here… I can just cut the file! ROFL! :grin:

8 Likes

Just cut the new file with the .008 kerf adjustment, fits snug. I was thinking…when I initially measured kerf, I had just painted the boards…now I measured and kerf is .008. Wonder if there was a bit of swelling from the paint involved initially. I usually work in acrylic so medium stays the same but I would think wood can swell and contract based on humidity or excess moisture, like from painting…something to ponder…
Or my caliper was off the first time…lol

5 Likes

Might have been the calipers - it’s just about impossible to measure that small accurately. (I’m hoping the ones I just picked up out of the mailbox do a better job than the ones I’ve got now. - Okay, yeah, they’re better.):slight_smile:

(Or could have been swelling in the wood too.)

So it fits perfectly with a 0.008 kerf…fantastic! :heart_eyes:

Do you have any other material that you want to try, now that we have the kerf more or less figured out? If you have some smaller scraps of acrylic or something, but not enough to cut the whole box, we can test it by cutting just two adjoining pieces and see how they fit together.

Or if you have any chipboard or cardboard, we could test it on that as well. I would just need to know the actual thickness of the material, so i can run one last copy of the file.

1 Like

You’ve had kerf compensation figured out ever since before you made that tutorial. But if you change materials you’ll have to make another adjustment to your drawing (unless, of course, the new material coincidentally yields a similar “enough” kerf).

If you know the kerf, and then compensate for it, the parts will come out the right size. Tests aren’t really necessary once you know the cut parameters (speed, power, frequency, focal distance) and the kerf width for the material you’re cutting. The only caveats to this are the small radiuses in the corners and the taper of the edges.

A link to the tutorial that Jules wrote, in case anyone reading this thread hasn’t seen it yet…

OK, if you want to get technical... (click for disclaimer)

There are a couple more caveats, the material has to be consistent enough that the kerf stays the same size throughout the cut, the machine’s laser output and motion has to be consistent too. Parts that start on fire or melt as a result of being cut also won’t necessarily come out the right size. Thermal expansion may technically come into play if ambient temperature fluctuates. Acts of god, lost steps, inaccurate tuning, time/gravity disruptions, and/or black magic may negate this rule. “Rightness” of resulting parts subject to stacking errors introduced by inaccuracies with the machine, the kerf measurement, the final part measurement, and rounding when converting units or interpolating tool paths.

4 Likes

I was talking above about figuring out what the actual kerf value is for the machine that she is currently using to cut these…we inadvertently started out with an inaccurate measurement for the kerf. :relaxed:

The good news is:

As far as kerf-adjustment goes, yes the tutorial does work once you get a good handle on what your beam width is.

The bad news is:

For a couple of the files that I have in mind to build - I’m probably not going to be able to totally ignore the kerf. That’s a bit of a bummer, but I might just redesign the files to go with a mortise and tenon type join with glue, so that it doesn’t matter if it’s a little loose fitting, since it won’t be seen.
(I’ll probably ultimately wind up doing something like that, because it would improve the overall appearance.)

The last phase of the testing (on a different material) has nothing to do with kerf - it has to do with checking to see whether I have programmed the parametrics for the tabs and slots correctly. (Those are a whole lot trickier to set up than kerf. ) :fearful:

6 Likes

But once you have them set…

2 Likes

Yup! Big timesaver! :smiley:

(i should also mention…they are only tricky because I don’t know what the heck I’m doing yet. Chuckle!)

4 Likes

Nobody did till the first time. :wink:

4 Likes

I’d suggest trusting the software as far as the material thickness variables are concerned. If 2mm material changes into 4mm material within Fusion 360 without breaking your model, you’re basically good to go. But I can understand why you might be trepidatious, especially if you’re used to art-centric design software like Illustrator instead of accuracy-centric design software like Fusion 360 or other CAD packages.

I’m really confused here. The machine isn’t the only variable in this equation. You didn’t figure out the kerf value for the machine. You’ve only figured out the kerf value for that machine, using that material, using those cut parameters (speed and power, primarily). If you change anything you will likely have a different kerf value.

If you change the material: you can bet the kerf will effected.
If you change the speed: you can bet the kerf will be effected.
If you change the power: you can bet the kerf will be effected.

The laser isn’t the same as a saw or router bit. For all intents and purposes, a typical “consumer” circular saw blade will leave a kerf of ~1/8", regardless of the material you’re cutting. Same for a router bit. If you use a 1/4" router bit to cut a channel into a piece of material, you can be pretty damn sure the kerf is going to be very close to 0.250" wide, whether that material was plywood, solid wood, plastic, foam, aluminum, pumpkin, whatever.

Lasers don’t work the same way. You’ll have a kerf of 200 microns in one material and 80 in another, even though you’re using the same machine with the same laser tube and same optics.

9 Likes