Pass-through Print Expired

Twice today I have gotten a “Print expired” message while using my passthrough. It does fine on the first cut, but then gives me the print expired message before moving to the 2nd cut (which is all of 1/2" tall). I’m sick and tired of wasting time, boards, masking and expensive 3M tape with this machine. It is definitely a love but often HATE relationship! Any suggestions on how to save my project? I have not opened the lid on this last cut just in case there is a solution. Refreshing the screen does not work and I cannot get it lined up if I move the wood back into place to repeat the first cut.

2 Likes

Thank you for your email! As requested, I cleaned all of the lenses and the mirror (which I had just done after the first error message of “Print Expired” and about 3 cuts before the second error – same message). I did the Set Focus and it worked correctly (always seems to work). My material each time was pinned down with no less than 6 honeycomb pins and was very flat.

For this test, I cut the Smooth Curves Stencil as directed. The print was NOT successful in that my machine NEVER cuts through ¼” (.19” in this case) during a pass through operation (even if using 2 passes – using Thick Basswood Plywood on birch). It was successful in that it did not error out and did align properly. I did not get the “Print Expired” message this time. Yesterday, I got it 2 out of 7 cuts. FYI - I have fiber (1Gb) internet with very strong wifi signal and speed tests that average around 240 mb up and 137 mb down.

Please let me know next trouble shooting steps.

Tammy

From: Maile L (Glowforge) <support@glowforge.zendesk.com>
Date: Friday, July 9, 2021 at 9:01 AM
To: Tammy White <tammy@iplanitmeetings.com>
Subject: Re: [Forum] Pass-through Print Expired

Hello @tammy1, I am very sorry about the problem you are running into with your Glowforge printer. I will do my best to get this issue resolved for you. In regards to the print expired messages you were seeing was this happening with a particular print or does this happen across all Pro Passthrough prints? If you give me the date and time of that print I can take a deeper look at the logs for you.

In regards to the cut-through trouble, there’s a test print I would like for you to try to help me establish a baseline for the problem. There are several things that need to be checked if the laser doesn’t cleanly cut through the material. We’ve discovered that photos don’t always come through well in emails, so I’ve included several links that will take you to reference instructions and photos. Please turn off your Glowforge and check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.

• If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Once you reply back with those photos I will be more than happy to assist with the next steps. Thank you!