Passthrough Alignment for Section 2 has been running for nearly 2 hours

The first section of this 3 section job has completed. Pictures have been taken and I have been stuck in aligning Do not open the door or move anything for nearly 2 hours.

This print is a repeat of one that has been recently successful (without getting stuck on the alignment phase).

The first section takes 2 hours and 40 minutes to complete so I am not keen on starting again.

What options do I have? Can I turn the machine on and off and retrieve my position?

Can I open the door and force a restart of the alignment process?

Advise welcomed.

Automatic alignment works best. If not you can manually align the piece. To do that you need to use the Set Focus and then manually align the pieces. It helps a lot if the places to be aligned are vertical as a minimal point-off will not show. It will also help if the material is held parallel to the side and able to move only vertically. That way you can move the design only up and down with the arrow keys and it will be aligned in the “X” direction at least.

I’m so sorry you ran into trouble while using Pro Passthrough and that your print was interrupted. I see that we’ve been able to connect with you via email and my colleague sent you next steps there, so I’m going to close this thread and we’ll continue to assist you via email.

Hi @lmiksch. It looks like you haven’t been receiving any of my email responses, so I’ve gone ahead and re-opened this thread to address your questions and concerns regarding Passthrough prints. I see @rbtdanforth was able to offer some great tips to help with manual alignment.

I’ve included my earlier response below:

… I have included some answers below to the points mentioned in your response. I know it is frustrating to have a long print run only to get interrupted and require restarting the print from the beginning. The biggest factor in recovering a Passthrough print is the point of failure, or interruption.

1. I have just finished a segment and my Glowforge is aligning for hours without a conclusion. How long should one wait before giving up? Restarting from the stored pictures just taken would allow me to turn the machine off and refresh everything

The alignment process can vary depending on the design used, but if you notice the automatic aligning process hanging or taking a very long time, manual alignment and Set Focus may help. Aligning manually lets you drag and drop your design into place. When you choose to align manually, a new design called “Pro Passthrough Remainder” opens. The design will consist of the remaining unprinted portion of the print. After you choose “Align Manually”:

• Turn the Passthrough toggle back on.
    • Reset the material and step settings if they have changed.
    • If you’d like, you can lift the lid and reposition your material.
    • Use Set Focus by clicking the gear, selecting “Set Focus”, and then clicking on the material in the place where you plan to print.
    • Line up your design.
    • Press “print”
    • Continue as usual with your Pro Passthrough print.

2. Oops - lost my internet - or oops lost my power

If the Glowforge connection drops, or if your internet service goes offline, you can recover the print once the Glowforge reconnects with your network This can also be recovered if you accidentally click our of the Glowforge app page. To recover from that you can click back and resume the print. Be aware that the material should remain as is in the print bed to help with this.

In the event of a power loss, that will unfortunately cancel the print and need to be restarted.

3. I am 6 hours in, just completed the second of 3 sections and I have to leave.

You have the ability to pause any print if needed between print slices/sections, however we highly suggest that you never leave your print unattended or out of view.

The align manually steps may help in some situations where a Passthrough print needs to be paused, but canceled prints due to opening the lid, or power loss of the unit will most likely need to have the print restarted. I’ve included a link to our support page with more detailed Passthrough information as well.

https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047669153-Pro-Passthrough

Let me know if you have any other questions.

2 Likes

For my personal plea that the Undo’s are lost when that is done means you cannot undo back. This has given me a lot of, and the not occasional enough frustration of having to dump the print after and reload losing such saved information.

Hi @lmiksch. It’s been a while since the last response on this thread and wanted to check in and see if you had any other questions or trouble with Passthrough prints. I’ll leave this thread open for another couple days just in case. Thank you!

It’s been some time since we’ve seen activity on this thread, so I’m going to close it. If additional questions arise, don’t hesitate to start a new thread, or email us at support@glowforge.com.