Passthrough Seems to focus incorrectly

Beyond the Manual is not about things competing with :proofgrade: but the cut settings for anything that is not :proofgrade:. Using set focus is not about that but any discussion of cutting parameters is, and if it is not cutting through then that might need to be the discussion.

BTW, they do sell material up to 36" for folk with pros.

The best for this specific MDF is 127/Full - it cuts through just fine in any other (non pass through) cut. I tested it though and if I set the focus off it won’t cut (sort of expected in some cases) … I tested cutting on that same exact piece to make sure it wasn’t something wrong with that piece and it was fine. The settings seem fine, but from testing it seems to no be focusing (unless its changing my settings – which I don’t really think is happening)

The settings are not the issue – I can confirm and did confirm several times with that same exact piece – the settings aren’t really part of this issue — my main issue is to learn more about how focus is working with passthrough. It seems to not be focused from everything I’ve tested. I do have custom settings, but I just tried PG settings as well and those even cut through just fine with a normal non-proof grade cut – but when I enable the proof grade wizard, it won’t cut it … the only other thing it could be is changing settings or something - but I would think they definitely don’t do that - but that could be an issue if they did. (I don’t think it’s settings though - I think its focus)

1 Like

My experience is that in full passthrough mode the material is a skooch higher partly because the back part of the crumb-tray is that much higher so settings might want to be adjusted for that condition :slightly_smiling_face:

okay, so hang with me because I am just trying make sure I am tracking which factors you believe are part of it. Is the passthrough a factor to your understanding then? Or is this an issue with just setting focus and the results of manually or auto cutting in general? Issue being manual vs auto settings in general, then there are some threads on that. But if the issue is passthrough alone, then it would be an interesting unique discussion, but certainly open to having as well.

It’s only happening with the passthrough option turned on. If I turn it off and let part of it cut that still fits, that is just fine. Based on testing, the cut settings seem totally fine, the material seems fine, the only other major issue I can see being a factor is focus.

Okay, tracking,

So when you do the passthrough and you let it finished the first segment and the GF has you move the material forward, you move it forward and let it align, correct? At that specific point, do you click to have it continue or do you choose to do any readjusting? there is no wrong answer here, just trying to make sure and understand the situation :slight_smile:

I think @rbtdanforth comment on material height through the back part of the passthrough is something to keep in mind.

1 Like

Here’s another question, that may or may not matter – I noticed that when I start up the passthrough wizard, and it plots out the first cut – the side area shows “Cut” like a normal cut - even though I have manual settings. Is it perhaps, changing my settings to a ProofGrade Cut – I really don’t think that’s it though as, even with PG settings this material cuts (for pg thick draft board), it just doesn’t cut it cleanly though so I have manual settings to get a better cut – but when its messing up in this topic - I can’t even see a line on the back – its not getting near it at all.

1 Like

It does the same to me. My manual setting on fabric is 10 power…The app shows “engrave” once it processes it. If it was not using 10 power, I would have for sure made a camp fire of my house :slight_smile:

But that one threw me at first when I was working it.

So I just want to make sure I understand … to my understanding, the actual cutting settings (the speed and power) don’t really have to do with height, and instead height is a factor of the focus height, correct?

In my case, however, this isn’t the answer (I wish it was so I could fix it), as when I stated I tried to cut on the exact same piece, just with pass through off and using a part that can still cut (ie, not too large), it cuts just fine, even though the material is still sitting in the exact same spot, so any height issue would still be there and its not affecting a “normal” cut.

Yeah, I didn’t think it was actually changing it, just saw that and wondered …

As that did not exist when I got my machine I got used to doing without it, using what I suggested, fixing the work so the design is cut at a predetermined place where it will make the least mess, and using the side of the crumb tray for alignment. The greatest problem is rotation and the passthrough widget helps a lot there, but like I said I was doing without it before it existed and worked out ways to not depend on it.

And yes slowing it down 30-50 zooms can get the cut working when it did not before for any reason.

1 Like

I just click continue (after verifying the alignment looks good - and it always has so far). But my issue is already present on the first cut – I can feel under the material as I move it and its not cut – when I take it out, there isn’t any evidence of a cut (like it was off a small amount or something).

I just finished running a completely flat (the others were flat as well), plain board through without any existing cuts or engraving. and it didn’t cut at all - again on first cut. I had set focus and made sure before starting up the pass through that everything was set correctly. It just isn’t working for some reason but only on the passthrough. I really have no idea why not at this point, as if it focused somewhere else - it should have still been the same … I may have to open a ticket directly with GF to see if they can see backend something about it that wasn’t correct.

1 Like

lol, lucky. Mine never does look correct in the app. I figure if it turns out wrong then I will just call it art :slight_smile: So far it has been fine.

Maybe someone else might come upon this thread and it also sound familiar and help with it as well. There is lots of good information in the forums.

As far as how the height effects the result…its complicated.

off a small amount in ability to cut or do you think it skipped?

Like when a cut almost makes it through, you might see slight burning or it even cuts through but may have some areas that it didn’t – in this case it looks fresh - no burns, no cuts - on the back that is – the top looks like a normal cut, but its just not going through - not sure by how much.

Yeah, mine used to never look correct for normal cuts - but I re-calibrated it and its almost perfect now (off by just a hair, but I’m familiar with that small difference now).

Ya, thats always the first thing I do whenever I set up a new machine. They all do fine but just struggle some with fabric on the display. But they all print it perfectly. Same with any other material.

So after I saw someone on Youtube mention it … it seems my lens is falling down some at some point… I clean it and make sure it goes all the way down, but noticed now on 3 occasions just since I last commented that it was down (I confirmed my pushing it a little and it wasn’t all the way). So I may have a totally different issue going on …

The lens travels up and down inside the head as it adjusts it’s focus.

1 Like