Pause and unpause issue

hi,

Glowforge Pro, only about 5 months old. every time I pause a job, even very briefly - when I hit the button to resume nothing happens. my jobs keep getting ruined and I have no clue what I’m doing wrong. the only option on screen is to resume by pushing the blue button or cancel the job. how do I get it to start cutting again after a pause?

UPDATE: just left it sitting to wait and see if I could get a response on the issue before abandoning another full sheet to the garbage. it now says “cooling” on the screen… but it hasn’t been running in like 20 minutes?? why would it need to “cool” it does say that it will automatically resume but I have my doubts at this point. any advice would be appreciated. if not for this job, any info for doing things another way to save future jobs would be great. thanks!

Sounds like there is an issue with the signal coming back from the machine. I would try hooking the machine up to your phone via a hot spot if you are able, it can help diagnose connection issues where the machine has a good signal to it from the router but is having trouble sending information back due to poor signal strength or other devices that might interfere. Posting the date and time of the most recent failed print may help the support staff when they respond.

I wonder if the pause isn’t controlled locally, the entire job is downloaded to memory before the button lights up to print.

1 Like

It is.

You can close the browser and shut down your computer after a job starts, and pause works (on a normally functioning machine) as expected.

3 Likes

Hello @londage2013, thank you for reaching out to us. I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge isn’t resuming your print jobs after they’ve been paused.

I took a look at the logs for your unit and it looks like your Glowforge is able to connect successfully to your network, but is having trouble maintaining a stable connection, which is likely the cause of the trouble. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may see an “Offline” message.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on
  6. Load a small test print and try pausing and restarting it while it is running.

If the issue continues, I have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

Please let me know how it goes after trying the steps above. Thank you!

1 Like

the job did eventually restart. it was about 30 minutes after my update above when a out 20 minutes had passed and it suddenly said it was “cooling”. I don’t know if if could possibly be a wifi issue because my understanding (and from responses above) the information on the design was sent before the job started so why would pausing the job and then unpausing be effected by wifi?

2 Likes

I would like to understand this also.

Thank you so much for confirming these details.

I don’t know if if could possibly be a wifi issue because my understanding (and from responses above) the information on the design was sent before the job started so why would pausing the job and then unpausing be effected by wifi?

Correct! Your Glowforge should have already downloaded the required steps for the print, but the delay may have been associated with your Glowforge being “Too Hot” to continue printing. I’ve extracted the log files from your unit, and it does appear you experience multiple cooling pauses during this time. I’d like to make sure your Glowforge is properly ventilating.

To help troubleshoot your exhaust, could you send me a few photos of your exhaust system? Specifically, please include pictures of the following:

1. The exhaust fan from the inside of the unit. To capture this photo:

2. Turn your Glowforge off

3. Open the lid

4. Using both hands, gently pull the printer arm towards you as shown below:

5. Move your phone or camera inside the Glowforge on the left-hand side, past the metal rail, pointed away from you towards the exhaust hose, to capture a photo like the one below:

6. A photo of where your exhaust hose attaches to the Glowforge, where your exhaust hose exits the room, and the path your exhaust hose takes from your Glowforge to the exterior vent or Compact Filter

7. The exhaust connection on the back of your Glowforge, with the exhaust hose removed:

8. Any area where you see smoke escaping from your Glowforge while printing

Once we can review these photos, we’ll send over the next best steps.

Hello @londage2013, it been a few days since we hear from you so I wanted to check in. Are you still having trouble with your exhaust? If so, could you please send us photos of your exhaust following the example provided by my colleague Marc?

If the issue has been resolved, please let us know and we’ll close this thread. Thank you!

Hi @londage2013. It’s been some days since we’ve seen any activity or responses, so I’ll go ahead and close this resolved. Feel free to create a new thread or write us at support@glowforge.com. Thanks!