Pegboard bit / small tool holders

I made the smaller one a while back to fit in my workshop to hold various drill driver bits, center punches, etc. It has a middle piece that acts as an upright holder for the bits so they don’t slump over in the holes.

A few weeks ago I was frustrated at the need for more space and for bigger holes - I wanted the biggest ones for a few items that just didn’t fit, so I extended and added.

The smaller one is just a hair bigger than 7" and the larger one is 12". This is made for 1/8" draftboard - I used proofgrade at first, but now I use the dark brown hard board from Home Depot and it works great. Pressure fit will hold it together for glue up - what I did / do is put the bottom and 3 sides on, spray some accelerator on the 3 pieces inside, then literally drag glue around the seam inside. The accelerator hardens the glue in about 10 seconds, and then I put the middle insert in, add the other side and do the same thing with accelerator and glue.

Put the top on - spray accelerator on the finger joints and then drizzle glue across the finger joints.
Spray accelerator on the back, put some dabs of glue on the hooks, and glue them in place. Took me all of 5 minutes to construct and it’s rock solid. A little light sanding on the dried glue and you have a respectable bit holder for the garage. Here’s a quick pic of the larger one - disregard the dried glue running up the face - I used a hair too much!

FYI - the clips on the back go up - so the three holes would be mated with the top piece so when you glue the clips in, they’ll be the correct way. And they’re a tight fit on newer pegboard, which seems to have bigger holes that older pegboard.

Here’s what they look like in plans - attaching PDF’s

Pegboard boxes - Bit Holder Model - Small.pdf (12.5 KB)
Pegboard boxes - Bit Holder Model - Large.pdf (20.6 KB)

45 Likes

This is awesome!! Thanks for the share!!

5 Likes

WOW thanks for this I have been looking for the exact file for my metal stamping design stamps! Thank you for sharing

3 Likes

You bet! The smaller holes fit screwdriver bits perfectly so that might work well for your use?

Happy to customize one as well - it’s a pretty simple design in CAD.

5 Likes

So many of us can use this. Thanks very much!

3 Likes

As always, thanks for sharing.
This one will get used a lot,

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing. These are a great idea.

4 Likes

Very generous of you to share, thanks!

3 Likes

Looking at the design - I could easily mate the pieces for less cuts / less waste. I’m thinking I want to make more “improvements” to this so if I do I’ll post it.

4 Likes

Practical cut FTW!

3 Likes

Thank You for Sharing.

1 Like

Very nice share! Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m finally back to this as I need some newer storage for this kind of stuff, and I’m going to incorporate some bit specific and size specific holes.

So if anyone has a need while I’m re-designing, please let me know - happy to accommodate anyone’s changes / needs - it might spur me to re-organize my workshop! (Which REALLY needs it!)

I’m also going to redo files for less waste, so single line cutting as much as I can.

3 Likes

I was just looking at re-orging this to make a cup for holding zip ties - so tall narrow. I’m still happy to do it, but if that’s of interest to you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! Perfect way to organize my chaotic space!

1 Like

Interesting to add a tall “cup” holder to an end. Any idea how tall? I could design a separate one for ZIP ties, I rather like that idea. Right now I have a big container of all sizes and they’re mixed.

Hmmmmm…

3 Likes

Thank you Thank you

1 Like

The ties I have are…8", so a 6" tall cup - I think you’d want to do at least 3/4 of the total length of the tie.

1 Like

Nice

Sorry this is taking so long! I keep starting and getting pulled in different directions. I am working on this!

2 Likes