Pegs & Jokers

Over the holidays my Mom hosted our traditional family game night. It’s a bit of a competition with various games setup throughout the house for everyone to play and keep score. One of the games she pulled out was “Aces & Faces” using a board she made many years ago.

Well you might guess my first thought on seeing this old board!? Yep, I have a Glowforge and this board needs to be updated!

When I got home I researched the game a bit and found its common name is really “Pegs & Jokers” with many homemade examples shown online. Taking some ideas I saw I went about designing my own board from scratch and then forged it up using PG Think Plywood.

I used some PG Thin Acrylic I had on hand for the game pieces. Will likely update these at some point. The board can be easily reconfigured for more players (up to 6).

It’s a fun party game. There are many sites with varying rules, here is one I just pulled up…

If you’d like to make your own board (please share a photo if you do) here is the design (minus the art)…

BoardDesignShare.zip (4.7 KB)

Next up, need to think about a box to hold everything!

Finally, game night would not be complete without a trophy! :wink:

80 Likes

That is really slick! Well done.

my family loves card games and board games.

AND we have a GLOWFORGE. So perhaps we need to make a party game.

2 Likes

Really nice! well done!

1 Like

Oh, I love this!

Thanks for sharing!

Martha

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this! I used the GF to cut out a template and a router to cut out the boards from thick hardwood

19 Likes

Uh, you did that in like an hour after his post?

Rockler, if my memory serves, a drill bit that would work for marbles in case anybody needed to know that.

3 Likes

No. I did that a long time ago… :slight_smile: You just need a round nose bit for the router (and a plunge router).

2 Likes

LOL I wondered about that timing. I was like “crap I never get to whip up anything like that, that quickly real life much to hard to dodge.”

I have a plunge router but probably would do the drill method myself. Heck Real life states that I must complete that last 4 power drops so that my shop is fully electrified. THEN I need to make the Table for Beamer.

1 Like

I was going to go the drill method but then I used the GF to make the template (along with holes sized for a router template bushing) and found that so much easier to get the consistent spacing…

2 Likes

Very cool! The configurability for multiple players is a very cool aspect.

5 Likes

That looks like fun! :grinning:

1 Like

So cool!! I love the trophy.

2 Likes

Very cool! Hmmmmmm, I may have to make a version where the holes are 3D engraved for marbles! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great looking remake and a lovely story too. Pegs and Jokers looks great! Thanks for sharing the file.

2 Likes

Fun family for sure. Thank you for the file.

1 Like

Clever thinking with the layout to go from 4 to 6 - i like it!

2 Likes

Awesome! I played this for the first time over the holidays and took a picture of the handmade board for future GF fodder. Your configurable masterpiece is so much better than the flip-it-over version my friends had!

I will definitely be customizing this as a gift for them.

4 Likes

I love the fact that it’s designed so you can have a various number of players. Using alternate colors of wood really sets it off as well. Thanks for the share. Awesome project.

2 Likes

In addition, the game is often played with partners opposite each other, so the wood colors and engraved symbols are used to match up partners.

3 Likes

You inspired me to create my own design with a nested box, gifted to my parents at Christmas. #necrogame

24 Likes