Pen Blank / turned pen

I have planned on making my own pen with the GF using scraps and stacking discs, then doing some sanding on a drill or drill press, but I hadn’t made it that far yet.

but

my father-in-law turns pens as his retirement gig. so i went ahead and made a few blanks with some scraps and gave them to him in his father’s day package. about a week ago, we got a package back from him and he sent us one of the pens he made.

Here are the blanks glued up and clamped to dry.

And here’s the final pen he sent. The finish is ultra thin CA glue that he buffs. And I think that helps solidify the glued up discs, too.

76 Likes

Really cool! Love seeing turned projects.

9 Likes

Gorgeous!

8 Likes

Wow that’s beautiful!

7 Likes

Great use of small scrap. :sunglasses:

9 Likes

thanks. i’m definitely planning on doing some more.

and a strong hat-tip to tdotrob for his earlier inspirational posts.

10 Likes

That pen is almost enough to make me want to take notes “the old fashioned way” again.

This is another of those projects I’d like to get around to one day. Maybe I need to retire again :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Those look great. Thick pens (cigar et al) look so much better for the simple reason there is more wood shown, v;resuscitate slimline pens. IMHO

5 Likes

they also, imnsvho, feel better to write with. i like the heft.

6 Likes

Me too!

3 Likes

What a wonderful collaboration, beautiful and it looks so smooth and weighty!

7 Likes

Very cool! If i didnt do most of my work in draft board I’d glue some scraps and try turning them!

2 Likes

just keep a “pen scraps” box somewhere for when you do use hardwood and even if you don’t use hardwood a lot, eventually you’ll have enough. i’m going to try doing an acrylic one, too. maybe a mixed wood/acrylic (but not sure how much those might bleed on each other).

7 Likes

I think that would be really interesting if you can get them to bond well!

3 Likes

yeah, that’ll be part of the challenge with the wood/acrylic mix. acrylic alone is fine.

3 Likes

Love it! I’ve been wanting to try this, but I’m busy building a house, so hadn’t gotten around to it.

I did try, some time back, making a turning tool handle from stacked discs of Baltic birch, but inserted acrylic discs to make it “fancy” and the glue between them and the wood didn’t hold up to turning. sigh

7 Likes

what did you use? i should start by avoiding what we know doesn’t work. i was thinking about starting w/E6000.

4 Likes

I used the same Gorilla wood glue I used for the rest of it. It held up quite well on the swords I made for my grandkids so I didn’t really give it much thought. Apparently lathes put a lot more stress on things than grandchildren do!

5 Likes

hrm. ok. i’ll have to think on this a bit. maybe do some research.

1 Like

Oh wow, nice job!

3 Likes