Swords for Grandkids

In my never-ending quest to be the world’s greatest Grandma, and with a little help from @evansd2, I’ve completed another project to fulfill one of their recent requests: Swords!

Baltic birch throughout, with translucent acrylic highlights in their respective favorite colors; walnut stain and Danish oil on the handles and guards, linseed oil on the blades. And lots and lots and LOTS of sanding! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

86 Likes

Wow!!

2 Likes

Those are magnificent! Are they ply or hardwood? How much time do you think you have in each one? Would love to do something like that for our Celtic Fest, but I’m thinking the time and materials may make this difficult, lol.

3 Likes

Those look amazing! Wonderful work!!!
It would be funnier to have it in a backdrop of poison ivy. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Baltic birch plywood, although the stacked handle looks awesome in hardwood, too. This was my trial run, using walnut for the handle:

I got the grandkid ones both built and shaped in one afternoon, with the help of a good audiobook. :slight_smile: I used a Dremel for the bulk of it, then finished by hand, up to 600 grit.

15 Likes

The walnut looks great, for sure, but that stacked ply with acrylic accents really pops. Love these!

2 Likes

Those really are awesome! The kids will absolutely love them.

1 Like

Ruth, those are really beautiful. I can tell that lots of hand finishing went into them.

1 Like

Nice job sanding through the layers of the ply to create lines matching the edge! Had to look twice to see the blade was plywood.

2 Likes

Coolest Grandma ever! Will you be my grandma too? :star_struck:

1 Like

The acrylic is such a fabulous accent! Stunning work!!!

6 Likes

I was really happy with how it worked! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Holy canoli! Fanfreakintastic!

3 Likes

Those are fabulous. My grandsons would love them, however, they are 2 and 4 years old now and just can’t understand a real wooden sword hurts where a nerf one doesn’t…I know this how? :rofl: I will have to keep this in mind when they get just a bit older. Stellar work!

3 Likes

Can we see a picture of one from the edge?

Beautiful! How old are the grandsons? Mine are 9, 5, and 4 and their Moms would say no to swords although they would love them.

I’m planning to make some swords from old boards I have in the garage, love seeing others making swords!! Very well made and beautifully sanded/finished.

2 Likes

These are incredible! We already knew your grandkids were super lucky, but now there can be no doubt who deserves the trophy!

3 Likes

I forgot to tell you how much I love the inlaid ‘jewels’ in the handle. I’m a huge fan of acrylic bling anyway, but those touches add just the right amount of medieval to these.

4 Likes

Nice! Good choice for the background too!

2 Likes