Pencil Case / Tool Case

yep I chose to save as svg on the website, didn’t get that option with save page as.

ok, that was weird. I tried the save page as option. It saved it as a web page, and then I imported it into inkscape and it came in just fine as an image, but not as an svg

I just tried in on Firefox on Windows 10. It saves it as an SVG directly with Save Page As for me.

3 Likes

@julybighouse I use a Mac and Safari opened OK when I used the File command “Save As” and selected “Page Source”. I also tried it on my Mac using FireFox v54.0.1 and got these options. I was able to drag it directly into the Glowforge interface from here and it loaded perfectly. Hope you can get it to work for you.

Regarding the hinge lines going into the dovetail joint: I think that the hinge cuts are a fixed size in this generator. If you put too big a corner radius for the size of the box it will try to put hinge lines in the dovetail. You can have a high hinge radius if you have a bigger box, but if you want a small box, you’ll have to go with tighter corners or do some vector editing after the fact.

4 Likes

that makes sense. I was trying to get it to do a circular box. 40 mm sides means a 20mm radius, which works for everything except for the dovetail joint. Still playing with this idea.

The circular box will probably take a little work in Vector editing. I think that I’ll eliminate the dovetail for my circular project and just make it a butt joint. Since the circular box has no tabs on the top and bottom, that shouldn’t mess anything up. This site would size the sides walls well. Just have to make sure the correct ends of the dovetail are eliminated in order to keep the circumference the same.

Hope you were able to get the SVG web page downloaded correctly.

They are really stunning @Jules !

1 Like

Too funny!! (But very likely so!)

@bill_laba

Here’s a box that I just completed for my Niece’s Birthday. It was easy to cut out of Proofgrade Walnut ply and went together quite well. Kerf was very tight on this. It was the first time I used this site One of the first boxes that I did not have to glue, but did have to use a small tack hammer (with a scrap of wood to hit) in order to put it together. The box is 4 x 6 x 2.5"with a dragonfly pattern engraved on the top. Ignore the weird lighting on the first picture.

Your niece will love it! Such fun to make custom gifts!

3 Likes