Perfect Fit Inlay

So you had no treble making it fit? Nice !!! ( Sorry to hear about the two split clefs…)

13 Likes

If you want to end up with a thick layer of lacquer, that is great. But you will need to apply MANY thin layers. Why, you ask?

Because if you do a single thick layer, you WILL end up with drips, brush strokes (or orange peel look if you sprayed it), the lacquer may easily shift while drying.

I suggest spraying on many thin layers, with VERY quick rub of 220 grit sandpaper in between each layer. The Lacquer I use will typically be dry enough to sand and re-apply every 2 hours or so, full cure in 12 hours (cheapest stuff at HD I could find)

There are numerous books specifically dedicated to finishing techniques. But I’ve never read any of them, I’ve just been learning by trial and error.

6 Likes

Don’t consider myself a woodworker but have buddies that are. Just trial and error.

Have tried Mother of Pearl but had little success. Tried Mother of Pearl veneer but didn’t like the material and still haven’t dialed in good settings for it.

Depending on the desired result wood or veneer will often get you good contrast and effect. Veneers come in all sorts of colors, grains, textures, patterns. You name it. Have no idea what most of my supply is but can ask the guy who gave it to me. Here are 4 of a dozen different types in the box. Gives you an idea about contrast.

14 Likes

i’m drooling over your stash.

3 Likes

Thanks for showing that. This is the type of work I bought the Glowforge to do. Nice to see.

2 Likes

My buddy named the veneer types as he was handing them to me and a full 75% I had never heard of.

4 Likes

Very Nice! Currently working on a project that cries for embellishment, that vector/raster technique got my attention - Thanks!

3 Likes

Love that fit. Cant wait to start playing with some cool inlays.
I’ve tried and tried to make them by hand, but i’m alway disappointed with the results.
I suck with a coping saw. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’ve said it elsewhere on here but I’ve heard it’s tricky, but possible! I’m imagining it’s very brittle and my attempt at it would be to take many, many light cuts with it.

As far as @GrooveStranger questions regarding a mother-of-pearl like material, if you’re trying to get the effect of it, I know there are pearlized paints out there that imitate it well.

1 Like

1 Like

“Thank you, William.”

That is lovely.

1 Like

That is So Exciting! I have tons of designs that I was hoping would work that way. Thanks so much for the great demo and write up. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I got this set of veneer pieces just for projects like this.

This should give a good selection of colors and grain patterns. It is a nice assortment of woods. :relaxed:

20 Likes

Hey, thanks for reminding me! I think I got that same pack about 1 1/2 years ago! I’ll have to check it out.

4 Likes

Amazon link for anyone looking to buy it: Amazon.com

10 Likes

This is what I’m looking for. Hopefully you get a chance to do more inlay and post your projects.

3 Likes

Wow! This is very tight and clean.

3 Likes

Shell veneers, http://www.aquabluemaui.com/aqappl.html

9 Likes

Looks great but I couldn’t figure out how to actually buy some of it–appears to be wholesale only. Do you have a source?