Periodic Lamp...thing

Continuing the discussion from Periodic Table of the Elements in AI:

I’m not sure if anyone has posted anything like this lamp before, but I needed to share it when I saw it. I want one of these so badly. I really like the glass vials to put samples of the noted element as a collection. I think I would shy away from some of the elements with a little too many isotopes.

55 Likes

Nice! Also imagine if a point light source were placed in the middle, projecting the Table onto the bedroom walls at night. A good way to memorize elements as you’re going to sleep?

3 Likes

I wonder, though, will the laser etch lines from the GF on glass be enough to score and break it instead of using a traditional glass cutter?

1 Like

Not generally. If you look at the score line from a CO2 laser (at least those 60W & under that I’ve used) under magnification you can see the difference between a glass cutter score and a laser score - the first is a crisp clean line and the laser’s is almost as ragged and fractured looking as a fractal pattern. Sometimes you can break it along the main score line but mostly it jaggies up and runs in sideways directions due to those micro-fractures.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks.

We have a genuine Theo Gray quilt, although apparently not a picture of it. As far as I know, it’s not radioactive…

1 Like

Except you’d have to etch everything in reverse!

k, I know I’m not the only one on the forum who has memorized (most of - up to Polonium) Tom Lehrer’s Elements song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYW50F42ss8

I bet we could do the Lamp in colored and engraved acrylic :thumbsup:

5 Likes

You are not…this video is the twin’s favorite thing on Youtube:

And as a result, my wife and I are quite familiar with the table now.

10 Likes

that’s wonderful - when my niece was 2, I started teaching it to her. I figured that if kids can sing “supercalifragilisticexpealidocious” then they can darn well learn The Elements Song.

5 Likes

I was reprimanded by my wife, when she heard me leaning over the side of the cot, saying to my 2 week old daughter " The square on the hypotenuse is equal to the …" .
Ah, memories
:smiley:

16 Likes

This is so cool. It would be beautiful even without the vials, but they would make it so much more interesting.

3 Likes

My father in law worked his whole life with pane glass and he explained to me that a glasscutter doesn’t actually remove material, but pushes the glass deeper into itself creating a sort of wedge on the line. The glass particles in the wedge is why it breaks as clean.

I guess a laser removes material from the glass hence no glass wedge?

4 Likes

That is a thing of beauty! Building one with actual samples would be tough, though:

(you can buy sets from him at http://www.periodictable.co.uk/)

3 Likes

It shatters the surface.

With all the discussion of glass, I’d say (especially with kids) use acrylic and color with glass paint or alcohol inks!

8 Likes

Oh wow! Totally digging this. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes