Personalized Guitar Hooks/Hangers/Holders

Inspired by @aloha’s guitar holders and @joshmonop’s guitar hangars I made my sister 3 hooks for a Yule gift - one for each of her guitars.

Wash:
Name engraved into BB ply

Dove:
PG walnut veneer over BB ply

and Pirate:
Full coverage engrave into BB ply

I modified @Aloha fish hooks into clefs, but maintained the angle of the piece that slots into the backing so I didn’t have to make any other changes:

I then copied @joshmonop’s guitar pick shaped backs for the support, reversing them and making them quite a bit larger for the design:

All the remaining pieces are BB ply, and everything but the PG veneer was finished with tung oil mixed with mineral spirits. I cut holes into the layers so screws would be inset, and glued everything together with wood glue. I didn’t have a weight, but it was able to hold up a 5lb bag of flour with no issue. The white foam is adhesive craft foam. It’ll likely fall off since what it’s stuck to has the oil on it…but I told my sister to glue them with superglue when that eventually happens :stuck_out_tongue:
No bananas - but the backs are 5.4" and the clefs 4.8" tall

The silly thing I’m proudest of is the X marks the spot on the underside of Pirate’s hook - since that X is across 3 different pieces of material!

I then picked up some brass screws that blend right into the engraved wood.
If/when she sends me pictures of them hanging I’ll add those here :slight_smile:

Guitar Hook_Final

February 2022 update - turns out one of my sister’s guitars has a wider neck than the others - about 2" to the other’s 1.5", so here’s a version with a wider neck set, all the other pieces are the same.

Guitar Hook_Final - 2 Widths

37 Likes

Really cool. Nice job! They are gorgeous!

6 Likes

Very nicely done - and practical cuts as well.

5 Likes

These are beautiful!

4 Likes

Oooh! Got a nephew who plays, I might need to revisit this idea for next year’s Christmas gifts. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

I’m happy to share the file. I’ll add it above if there is interest.

5 Likes

That would be extremely generous…he’d love something like that for his new house. (He’s getting married in May.) Thank you! :grinning:

5 Likes

That x is divine and all of these are awesome!

3 Likes

So cool!!!
Which reminds me I never gave the person their guitar holder gift…

I love your design so much better!

5 Likes

Well thanks to both of you…I’ve got it tucked away for future gift giving occasion! :grinning:

1 Like

Great work! Those will be treasured! I might put one together for my guitar. Super nice!

2 Likes

You should definitely give it to them - I love your design, which is why it lived in the back of my brain for so long :smiley:

3 Likes

These are excellent! Thanks

3 Likes

Oh, what a cool design—the treble clefs are genius! Thanks so much for the design!

4 Likes

The treble clefs are perfect for this! Beautiful turnout!

Thank you very much!

3 Likes

11 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing these! They are all really great looking. I’m betting my grandson would sure like a couple of them.

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Really cool design! Glad you found inspiration from my guitar hangers!

1 Like

Your work is so posh, I hope you’ve continued making things!