Phone Stand (Living Hinge)

Hi,
I needed a phone stand (and to learn Fusion 360) so I made this.
Fusion 360 link is Fusion in case you want to modify it!
phonestand2

phonestand2.zip (2.7 KB)

77 Likes

Nice, and it’s weird that I have made literally hundreds of things and not once used a living hinge. I need to make it a priority so as to add them to my repertoire.

4 Likes

Nice design & thanks for sharing!

will try, I need a decent stand that will hold my phone with the type of case I use

Living hinge and designs are the best, thx for sharing the file.

very clever… I love living hinges and I’ve done a few. I am always looking for ways to use them and you just gave me more ideas. Great job!

How strongly does the stand hold that shape. I am asking because the form has no direct diagonal bracing. Does the force making the living hinges want to straighten just balance out and hold the shape?

Well on second look I see that if the tee joint is strong it is triangulated… Your design is visually very pleasing.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Interesting design. I like it!

Thank you.

Is there enough room there for a charging cable or do you need a right angle end/adapter?

I love living hinge designs - well done!

good concept thank you

There should be enough room for most charging cables, I have a pixel 4 and it fits the USB C cable that comes with that

1 Like

So far it seems to be strong enough, it doesn’t collapse under the weight of my phone + case and it balances nicely. Most likely failure point would be the hinge at the top but it seems pretty solid so far

1 Like

Welcome, @david.hayes ! Thanks for posting this design! I’ll definitely try it.

Very cool! nice use of the living hinge. I have printed a few things with living hinges - I havent tried anything but wood – does acrylic work for living hinges?

1 Like

Yes, I had a similar design in acrylic on my desk for years and used it every day. It’s a bit fragile, but not terribly so.

1 Like

We tried this using proof grade walnut but it snapped apart at the hinges. Did we choose the wrong material? Thanks!

Yes. Hardwoods are more likely to break along the grain.

1 Like

Should I use draft board instead? Never mind… we tried it and it worked!

1 Like

This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I (newbie) just made it on gf medium draftboard and had a lot of flaming. What wood do you recommend?

1 Like